Kealia Pond, Kihei
Kealia Pond, Kihei - Address, Phone Number
Address: Maui National Wildlife Refuge Complex Milepost 6 Mokulele Highway (Hwy. 311) P.O. Box 1042 Kīhei, Hawai‘i 96753
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 07:30 am - 04:00 pm Details
Added 12.3K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Water Body, Wildlife Park, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Kealia Pond, Kihei
Most activities in Kealia Pond are dependent on wildlife. This includes observation of wildlife, environmental education, interpretation and the most importantly photography. . This refuge (referred to as a refuge because many migratory birds take refuge here) is particularly popular for bird watching; specially when migratory birds are present from the duration of August to April. The refuge is popular for up close glimpses of some endangered species. You can specially consider visiting and viewing the diversity of migratory birds that is found here during winter. In August, you can spot shorebirds and the waterfowl begins increasing from the months of September and October.
The interpretation program at this Refuge System provides a lovely chance to the visitors to connect to the natural world. You can enjoy a wide range of activities which start from ranger-led programs to self-guided walks.
The National Wildlife Refuge provides some really enlightening outdoor classrooms to teach about natural resources and wildlife. Refuges provide great outdoor environments which are basically excellent locations for hands-on learning activities.
Kealia Pond Information
- Recreational activities such as bicycling, ball throwing, frisbees, jogging, and skateboarding are not wildlife-dependent and result in altering birds behavior from feeding or resting to avoidance.
- Pets are not allowed on the refuge for these same reasons. Non wildlife dependent activities can be performed in the numerous county parks located along South Kihei Road in Kihei.
- Disturbing or removing plants, animals, rocks, fossils, or artifacts is prohibited.
- Printed and virtual information is often available on many topics, including plants and animals, seasonal migrations, habitats, refuge management strategies, and endangered species.
- Please check with the refuge management before participating in an activity that could harm the environment or yourself.
- There are plenty of activities for you to enjoy. Be safe and have fun! The best time to visit is in the morning, when the sun and wind are not as strong.
- Shaded areas are very limited on the refuge so we recommend you come prepared with sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, and water.
Kealia Pond Ticket Prices
- Please contact the authorities.
Kealia Pond Opening and Closing Hours
- Please check the events page on the official website.
- Contact for the visitor centre hours.
- Refer to the seasons of particular varieties of wildlife on the official website.
- The Kealia Coastal Boardwalk is also open and accessible 7 days a week, from sunrise until 7:00 pm for viewing opportunities of Hawaiian waterbirds.
How To reach Kealia Pond by Public Transport
- Drive to the pond or visit it while walking on the beach from Kihei.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kihei before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kihei and book an accommodation of your choice.