Kilkenny is the anglicised version of the Irish ‘CillChainnigh’, meaning Cell/Church of Cainneach or Canice. Located to the south-east of Ireland, Kilkenny city has arich history of 400 years.
The city has a special political importance in Ireland. Kilkenny played a vital role in the 1640’s where its parliament is known as the ‘Confederation of Kilkenny’ intended to join forces to fight against the English persecution of Irish Catholics.
Today the city still maintains its history through its monuments, pathways, museums, cathedrals and churches. The landmarks here predate the medieval times.
Legacy of iconic figures like Strongbow and St. Caniceis engraved in the Kilkenny Castle and the St Canice Cathedral. The river Nore splits the city in two. The west side of the river is known for its sights of interests while the east offers a silent ambience.
The outskirtsof Kilkenny have a unique black limestone (marble) quarry- which gives the city its nickname- Marble City.
Since the 17th century, the city has witnessed tremendous growth in all spheres.Tourism has a whole new meaning in Kilkenny. The busy shops, cathedrals, monuments, museums, cobbled pathways along with century-old pubs and cafes offer a truly memorable experience. The nightlife in kilkenny is dynamic. The city is also known for its popular festivals which attracts international crowd annually. The city also encourages arts and is a hotspot for cultural-art exhibitions and fests. With so much happening in the city all year round, there is never a dull moment at Kilkenny.
Essential travel information and Kilkenny tips for your visit
- Tourist can visit the Tourist Office in the city for any queries and doubts.
- Walking through the city is highly recommended since everything in the town including the pathways add to the charm.
- Do visit the market place where you can buy gifts for family and friends.
- While visiting Kilkenny, try to visit the pubs in the evening which have the best Irish ambience.
- Even though Kilkenny is known for its pleasant weather; do carry an umbrella and warm clothes at all times as the weather is known to be unpredictable.
Kilkenny Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Kilkenny. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Kilkenny trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Kilkenny