Kells Augustinian PrioryCurrently Open
- Address: Kells, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Family And Kids, Town, Architecture
Located 15 kilometres south of Kilkenny Town, the Kells Augustine Priory was founded in 1193 by Geoffrey FitzRobert. The priory succeeded an earlier church dedicated to St Mary and served as a parish church for the nearby Kells Village.
The church is known for its distinct architecture and design. The equally spaced towers with stone walls enclosing an area of 3 acres make the place look more like a fortress than a place of worship.
An excavation was initiated at the site in 1972 which over many supervisors got completed in 1993. The present day priory is nothing short of a walk through history quiet literally.
The beautiful stone walls and arches contradict with the greenery around to give a scenic appeal to every visitor.
A Celtic cross at the site dates back to the 9th century and stands tall over the tomb of Niall Caille- a High King of Ireland.
Kells Augustinian Priory Travel Tips
- Do try to rent a car to see the priory since it is located at quiet a distance from the Kilkenny city centre.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kilkenny before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kilkenny and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Kells Augustinian Priory Address: Kells, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
- Kells Augustinian Priory Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Kells Augustinian Priory(preferred time): 10:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Time required to visit Kells Augustinian Priory: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
35.61% of people who visit Kilkenny include Kells Augustinian Priory in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
30.61% of people start their Kells Augustinian Priory visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Kells Augustinian Priory
92.73% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kells Augustinian Priory
People normally club together Dunmore Cave and St Mary's Cathedral while planning their visit to Kells Augustinian Priory.