Devon House, KingstonCurrently Closed
- Address: 26, Hope Road, Kingston, Jamaica
- Timings: 09:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8769296602
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Outdoors, Historical Site, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Architecture , Heritage Building
About Devon House, Kingston
One of the main cultural attractions in the city, Devon House Heritage Site is owned by the Government of Jamaica and managed by Devon House Development Limited since February 2002. The mission of the Devon house management is to preserve Jamaican art, craft and culture.
A major historical site, The Devon House is the former home of one of Jamaica’s first millionaires George Stiebel. Built in the late 19th century the house is located at the corner of Trafalgar Road and Hope Road. Owing to other lavish houses, which have since been demolished, the area came to be known as Millionaires Corner.
The property sits on 11 acres of manicured lawns complete with palm trees and fountains. Architecture and antique lovers will enjoy the Jamaican-Georgina style of architecture and a tour of the house with is art, furniture, Venetian crystal chandeliers and silk wall hangings. Admission to the property includes a mandatory, guided tour of the house and the property is also available as a rental venue for weddings and other events.
Two of the best restaurants in Kingston, namely the he Grog Shoppe and Norma’s On The Terrace are situated on the estate. Also Devon House I-scream serves the best ice cream in town with exotic flavors. The Brick Oven, Whats on Cafe, Things Jamaica, Wassi Art, Rum Roast and Royals, Elaine Elegance, Starfish Oils, Cooyah Rootz Wear, Jamaica Juice, Ts and Treasures are among the other eateries and shops on the premises which are worth a visit.
Devon House Information
- Recommended Time To Visit- Any time of the day for food and shopping and during opening hours to visit the mansion.
- Do explore the shops for some great liqueurs, coffee and souvenirs.
- The ice cream is one of the most famous in Jamaica and must be tried.
- A lot of effort, time and money have gone into making Devon House a tourist destination, help keep it that way and avoid littering or damaging any property.
- The place gets very crowded on Sundays, so expect long lines and limited seating especially for the ice cream.
How To reach Devon House by Public Transport
- The nearest bus transport center is Half-Way Tree Transport Center (uptown Kingston).
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kingston before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kingston and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Devon House
95% of people who visit Kingston include Devon House in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
83.7% of people start their Devon House visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Devon House
91.05% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Devon House
Devon House, Kingston Reviews
Very good place to go for shopping for craft items and other things during the day, and top it off with ice cream and pastry. During the night till closing time - 10:00 pm, it's a good place to sit with yours and stare at each other and listen to each other's sweet talks. Yes it is a romantic place during this time. You sit on the benches provided or the grass below, whichever you prefer - the rest comes naturally. The highlight of the place is the newly expanded ice cream parlor which can now manage the crowd seeking their favorite flavors. That being said, the children are always excited for this opportunity. The restrooms are wheelchair accessible. Cash and Carry are accepted. Some of the shops include ice cream parlor, chocolate shop, craft stores, restaurants, bakery, among others. It also attracts a trendy crowd.
Service and ice cream were great as per usual 😊... My friend found something that looked like a bug in her ice cream and the employee was very apologetic and did not hesitate to give her a new one... I love what they have done to the place, as well as the new line system... It seemed as if we were going to wait for our ice cream for eternity, but surprisingly the staff was quick, friendly and efficient... My friends and I enjoyed our little ice cream date... 😊🤗... Great place to take the kids or to go just to chill and enjoy a cozy evening out.
A local and national treasure, the former Great House is the centre piece of the Devon House experience. Come for the best ice cream in the island, all made in house or eat at the several restaurants on the grounds. They even have a play area for children so you can give them something to do when the sugar kicks in.
This place is awesome. The food is great especially the bakery and the ice-cream is to die for. Go check it out and bring your friends and family to enjoy the lovely scenery
This place has maintained its reputation as one of the traditional must stops in Kingston. The grounds are nice and safe and the food is legendary. If you're a visiting the island and you happen to stop by this place you should try the authentic Devon House ice cream, patties from the Brick Oven, chocolate from Chocolate Dreams and visit the many other shops to pick up stuff like clothing, jewelry and craft items to remind you of your time in Jamaica.
All QuestionsDevon house
- Tourist Attractions Around the World
- Arian Baptistry
- Domus Of The Stone Carpets
- Monumento De Monte Do Gozo
- City Of Culture Or Cidade Da Cultura
- Actuacion Tuna De Derecho
- Hostal Dos Reis Catolicos Or Catholic Kings Hostal
- Santo Domingo De Bonoval Park
- Convento De San Francesco
- Monasterio E Iglesia De San Pelayo
- Colegiata Del Sar Or The Collegiate Church Of Sar In Santiago De Compostela