One of the main cultural attractions in the city, Devon House Heritage Site is owned by the Government of Jamaica and managed by Devon House Development Limited since February 2002. The mission of the Devon house management is to preserve Jamaican art, craft and culture.
A major historical site, The Devon House is the former home of one of Jamaica’s first millionaires George Stiebel. Built in the late 19th century the house is located at the corner of Trafalgar Road and Hope Road. Owing to other lavish houses, which have since been demolished, the area came to be known as Millionaires Corner.
The property sits on 11 acres of manicured lawns complete with palm trees and fountains. Architecture and antique lovers will enjoy the Jamaican-Georgina style of architecture and a tour of the house with is art, furniture, Venetian crystal chandeliers and silk wall hangings. Admission to the property includes a mandatory, guided tour of the house and the property is also available as a rental venue for weddings and other events.
Two of the best restaurants in Kingston, namely the he Grog Shoppe and Norma’s On The Terrace are situated on the estate. Also Devon House I-scream serves the best ice cream in town with exotic flavors. The Brick Oven, Whats on Cafe, Things Jamaica, Wassi Art, Rum Roast and Royals, Elaine Elegance, Starfish Oils, Cooyah Rootz Wear, Jamaica Juice, Ts and Treasures are among the other eateries and shops on the premises which are worth a visit.
Devon House Travel Tips
- Recommended Time To Visit- Any time of the day for food and shopping and during opening hours to visit the mansion.
- Do explore the shops for some great liqueurs, coffee and souvenirs.
- The ice cream is one of the most famous in Jamaica and must be tried.
- A lot of effort, time and money have gone into making Devon House a tourist destination, help keep it that way and avoid littering or damaging any property.
- The place gets very crowded on Sundays, so expect long lines and limited seating especially for the ice cream.
How to Reach Devon House
- The nearest bus transport center is Half-Way Tree Transport Center (uptown Kingston).
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kingston before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kingston and book an accommodation of your choice.
85.3% of people who visit Kingston include Devon House in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
85.05% of people start their Devon House visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Devon House
93.55% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Devon House