How to Reach Kingston
The Easiest Way to Reach Kingston
- Kingston has two airports. International flights to Kingston, Jamaica only operate from The Norman Manley Kingston International Airport. Several airlines from Europe and the United States, Canada as well as the rest of the Caribbean operate flights to and from here. There are several full service and cheap flights to Kingston, Jamaica.
- There is a smaller domestic airport, the Kingston Tinson Pen located near the downtown area, which only caters to a small shuttle flights from Montego Bay.
- Once can also fly into Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay and then rent a car to drive you to Kingston which is 81 miles away. With over 300 domestic and international flights operating from over 50 cities in the world, finding the cheapest flights to Kingston, Jamaica should be quite easy.
- One can rent a car or taxi and drive into Kingston from other tourist destinations and cities within Jamaica. Island Cars offers one-way rentals.
- By Bus: Although mostly used by locals, the bus service has received an upgrade in recent times with air-conditioned buses now plying various routes. The older non-air-conditioned buses exist too. However, buses are crowded and not the best mode of transport for tourists in the city. There are 3 central transportation centres - Downtown (Parade and the Downtown Transport Center), Half-Way Tree Transport Center (uptown Kingston) and Cross Roads. The Jamaican Urban Transit Company (JUTC) a division of The Ministry of Transport and Works is in charge of the running and maintaining of the bus service.For information call (876) 749-3196 or visit them at 1 Michael Manley Drive, Spanish Town.
- By Car: It needs a brave driver to take on the roads of Kingston. Car rentals in Kingston, Jamaica are available as a self-drive option as well as with a driver. There are several rental companies offering cars on hire at the airport and around the city. The local Island Cars and the international companies like Hertz and Avis are some popular options.
- By Taxi: Local taxis are available in abundance and have a Red number plate with the letters PPV inscribed as their authorization to ply passengers. You can either hire a taxi from the taxi- stand or can use “route taxis”. Route taxis are essentially shared cabs that ply a fixed route and pick people and drop them off along the way.
- On Foot: The best way to explore the markets and sights of downtown is on foot and the area is quite easy to navigate. Avoid walking in the night however and stay out of the slum areas.
Modes of Transportation in Kingston
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Kingston. The most preferred mode of transport in Kingston is Bus/Trolleybus.
Average distance: 21.37 km Average time: 40.33 min
Bus/Trolleybus 33.33%Bus 45 min Walking 6 min Waiting 5 min Overall average time for 20.9 kms 56 min
Car 33.33%Driving 45 min Overall average time for 40 kms 45 min
Walking 33.33%Walking 20 min Overall average time for 3.22 kms 20 min