Kitanocho - A Quick Overview[Contribute/Review]
Address: Kitanocho, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0002, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 12.2K times in trip plans
Museum, Cafe, Restaurant, Family And Kids
TripHobo lets you plan your own holidays according to your budget!
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Kitanocho, Kobe
In 1860, the city of Kobe opened up to foreign traders, after a treaty signed by Japan and several western nations. These merchants established themselves in the Kitano district, and once upon a time there used to be over a thousand western style mansions in this area. Today there are only thirty. Of these, about 20 are open to public visitors as museums. These are:
- Weathercock House
- Moegi House
- Uroko House and Uroko Museum
- Kitano Foreigners Association
- Former Chinese Consulate
- England House
- Ben's House
- Former Panama Consulate
- Dutch Museum and Fragrance House
- Wien-Austria House
- Denmark House
- Platon Decorative Arts Museum (Italian House)
- Yokan Nagaya (France House)
The Kitano area, thanks to its trendy atmosphere, is very popular with the local young crowd. As such, it is filled with bars, restaurants, boutiques, cafes and souvenir shops. So even if you're never going to step a foot inside one of the actual museums, the district itself is a delight to explore.
Kitanocho Ticket Prices
- Individual establishments will have their own ticket prices.
Kitanocho Opening and Closing Hours
- Individual establishments will have their own opening and closing hours.
- As a general rule of thumb, the museums are open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm in the summer and 9:00 am to 5:00 pm in winter (October to March)
How To reach Kitanocho by Public Transport
- JR Shinkansen bullet train stop Shin-Kobe Station
- Kobe City Loop bus stop Kitano Ijinkan
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kobe before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kobe and book an accommodation of your choice.