- Address: Kitanocho, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0002, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museums, Cafe, Restaurant
In 1860, the city of Kobe opened up to foreign traders, after a treaty signed by Japan and several western nations. These merchants established themselves in the Kitano district, and once upon a time there used to be over a thousand western style mansions in this area. Today there are only thirty. Of these, about 20 are open to public visitors as museums. These are:
- Weathercock House
- Moegi House
- Uroko House and Uroko Museum
- Kitano Foreigners Association
- Former Chinese Consulate
- England House
- Ben's House
- Former Panama Consulate
- Dutch Museum and Fragrance House
- Wien-Austria House
- Denmark House
- Platon Decorative Arts Museum (Italian House)
- Yokan Nagaya (France House)
The Kitano area, thanks to its trendy atmosphere, is very popular with the local young crowd. As such, it is filled with bars, restaurants, boutiques, cafes and souvenir shops. So even if you're never going to step a foot inside one of the actual museums, the district itself is a delight to explore.
Entrance Ticket Details For Kitanocho
- Individual establishments will have their own ticket prices.
- Individual establishments will have their own opening and closing hours.
- As a general rule of thumb, the museums are open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm in the summer and 9:00 am to 5:00 pm in winter (October to March)
How to Reach Kitanocho
- JR Shinkansen bullet train stop Shin-Kobe Station
- Kobe City Loop bus stop Kitano Ijinkan
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kobe before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kobe and book an accommodation of your choice.
88.12% of people who visit Kobe include Kitanocho in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
50% of people start their Kitanocho visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Kitanocho
65.33% of people prefer walking in order to reach Kitanocho