Ehrenbreitstein FortressCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
The fortress looks over the Rhine and Koblenz from a hill. Its fame is due more to its role as an important cultural centre rather than any architectural beauty. Here you’ll find several museums:
- Haus der Fotografie (photography)
- Haus der Archaologie (archaeology)– explores Koblenz’s archaeological history.
- Landesmuseum Koblenz (temporary exhibitions)
- Haus des Genusses
- Three Historical Gardens on the roof– Stone Age, Roman and Modern
If you book a guided tour of the fort, you’ll be lucky enough to be shown around by an actor who’ll adopt a historical persona for your amusement.
Check out Cafe Hahn GmbH for some excellent Prussian cuisine at the fortress. The fortress is also the location for the Koblenz Youth Hostel– if you can, stay there. It has a great view of the city.
Hands down the best way to get to the fortress is by cable car– a 900 metre ride that crosses the Upper Middle Rhine Valley and offers splendid panoramas as it soars above the river.
- Dog allowed if muzzled.
- Disabled accessible. Check attraction website for full access details.
- Paid parking is available.
- Best way to come to the fortress is by cable car ride.
- EUR 12.80 for adults.
- EUR 6.90 for students.
- Free for 6 years and under.
- Adults EUR 9
- Children EUR 5
- Check attraction website for extensive ticket details.
- EUR 2 for the audio guides (recommended)
- Cable car from Rhine Plants to Fort Park
- Elevator (funicular) starting Ehrenbreitstein (Obertal) to Fortress Entrance near the Rock Gate
- Buses 9, 10 stop "Fortress Elevator / Hostel”
- Bus 8 stop Ehrenbreitstein Station
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Koblenz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Koblenz and book an accommodation of your choice.
88.19% of people who visit Koblenz include Ehrenbreitstein Fortress in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
50.61% of people start their Ehrenbreitstein Fortress visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Ehrenbreitstein Fortress
91.6% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ehrenbreitstein Fortress
Great place to take pictures and ride the gondola up to. Pretty nice place to walk around in with parking super close. You can walk to the other side and see the entire city.
Highly interesting and historically significant. It is easy to spend most of the day here. I would have liked a guided tour but was unprepared. Nevertheless, an outstanding and unique place to visit.
The cable car is maybe the best attraction. If you are planning to visit the fortress on a winter day make sure you'll be wearing some warm coat, as it is windy up there.
Arrived early on a Thursday morning after taking the cable car from the German Corner and virtually had the place to ourselves in October. An impressive fortress, with interesting museum and massive ramparts and gun emplacements. Reminiscent of something from Dark Souls.
If u want to see a history's fortress , this is not your castle , every path u go there is landscape , after you watched 1 time is the same from all the other point of view ... Still there is a nice and little museum about romans