Kochi formerly called Cochin is a lively port city on the South-West Coast of Kerala in India. Kochi is one of the busiest cities in southern India as it is a stopover centre for ships passing through to South East Asia or going to the Middle East. Kochi or Cochin is situated in the Ernakulam district. This small town has outgrown its original boundaries to include the surrounding areas and form a big city which is recognized by the cosmopolitan nature of its residents.
The Dutch, Portuguese, Arabs, French and the British came to this land and left behind their culture, architecture, religion and customs which have been imbibed along with the local traditions to give Kochi a unique flavor of its own.
Kochi tourism beckons you to come and experience the wonderful vibrancy of its busy streets, the welcoming friendliness of the locals, the vast expanse of its beaches, and the serene mountains in the backdrop and tempts you to keep coming back for more.
Essential travel information and Kochi tips for your visit
- Kochi Time Zone – IST (Indian Standard Time) GMT+5:30
- Currency – The currency used in Kochi is Indian Rupee.
- Electricity – India uses 230 Volts, 50 Hz alternating current as the power source. Plugs and sockets have grounded / earthed 3 Pin connections (Type D) or ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type C).
- Internet – 3G, Wi-Fi connections are available in almost all the hotels in the city.
- Languages – The dominant language spoken in Kochi
- Security – Police – 100, Ambulance – 102, Fire – 101
- Tipping: Tipping is a common practice in Cochin city of Kerala. The tips should not be more than 15% of the bill. At high-class restaurants and hotels, generally a 10 per cent service surcharge is added to the bill. Tipping at such places is discretionary.
- Heavy penalties including imprisonment for possession of narcotic drugs. Do not carry drugs to the city.
- Nudity is not allowed in any Kerala beach.
- Smoking and consumption of alcohol is banned in public places.
- Kochi is a conservative city and demonstrating affection in public like hugging or kissing is not an accepted practice in Kerala.
- Tap water in India is not drinkable water. Always try to carry mineral water with you and avoid unsafe water from taps for drinking
- Don't point your finger at any person. It is taken as a sign of annoyance.
- Maintain silence whilst visiting any religious places. Footwear is not allowed in any religious places/temples.
- Don't encourage beggars by giving them money or any kind.
Kochi Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Kochi. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Kochi trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Kochi
Save 5%Alappuzha Beach TourNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Cochin tuk tuk tours and One hour Backwater Tour with pickup from Cruise shipNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Kochi Shore excursion for cruise passengers with a local guide and Tuk Tuk rideNew on TripHobo
Save 4%Luxury 6 Day Private Explore Kerala ( Munnar Thekkady Alleppey Cochin Thrissur )New on TripHobo
Save 4%Temple, Backwater & Palaces of South India (15 Days)New on TripHobo
Save 5%Best of kochi ! A private tour in kochi with a local guide !New on TripHobo