St. Francis Church, Kochi
About St. Francis Church, Kochi
St. Francis Church, Kochi - Address, Phone Number
Address: Fort Kochi, Kochi, Kerala 682001
Timings: 07:00 am - 06:30 pm Details
Added 51.3K times in trip plans
Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
St. Francis Church is India's earliest European church. Built by the Portuguese in the early 1500's, this wooden church with its simple whitewashed facade became the model for later churches. It was dedicated to St. Anthony.
It was originally surrounded by the Portuguese fort which gave the town its name; Fort Cochin. A stone church soon replaced the original wooden church. All of the Portuguese Catholic churches were destroyed except for this one - when the Dutch gained control of Fort Cochin. In later years when the British took control of the church it was rededicated to St. Francis.
Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama was buried here and then moved to Portugal some 14 years after his death. His gravestone still remains as well as gravestones of Portuguese and Dutch settlers.
St. Francis Church Information
- Footware must be left outside of the church.
- Videography is prohibited.
- Cell phones must be turned off.
- Follow the rituals while entering the Church.
St. Francis Church Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
St. Francis Church Opening and Closing Hours
- Sunday Services: 8 am - 9 am in English, and 9:30 am - 11:30 am in Malayalam.
How To reach St. Francis Church by Public Transport
- Fort Kochi bus terminus, Chirattapalam Bus Stop lie in the vicinity of the church.
Restaurants Near St. Francis Church
- No 18 Hotel
- Raintree restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kochi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kochi and book an accommodation of your choice.
St. Francis Church, Kochi Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Maritime Museum
- The Renai Cochin
- Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary
- Kuzhupilly Beach
- Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium
- Karingachira Church
- Heritage Arts Antique Store
- Dutch Cemetery
- Thrikkakara Temple
- Chittoor Sree Krishnaswamy Temple
- Kochi Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Kochi
- What to See in 48 Hours in Kochi
- What to See in 72 Hours in Kochi
- How to Spend 5 Days in Kochi
- How to Spend 6 Days in Kochi
- How to Spend 7 Days in Kochi