St. Francis ChurchCurrently Closed
- Address: Fort Kochi, Kochi, Kerala 682001, India
- Timings: 07:00 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Phone: +91-4842217505
- Ticket Price: Free
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
St. Francis Church is India's earliest European church. Built by the Portuguese in the early 1500's, this wooden church with its simple whitewashed facade became the model for later churches. It was dedicated to St. Anthony.
It was originally surrounded by the Portuguese fort which gave the town its name; Fort Cochin. A stone church soon replaced the original wooden church. All of the Portuguese Catholic churches were destroyed except for this one - when the Dutch gained control of Fort Cochin. In later years when the British took control of the church it was rededicated to St. Francis.
Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama was buried here and then moved to Portugal some 14 years after his death. His gravestone still remains as well as gravestones of Portuguese and Dutch settlers.
- Footware must be left outside of the church.
- Videography is prohibited.
- Cell phones must be turned off.
- Follow the rituals while entering the Church.
- Entry is free.
- Sunday Services: 8 am - 9 am in English, and 9:30 am - 11:30 am in Malayalam.
- Fort Kochi bus terminus, Chirattapalam Bus Stop lie in the vicinity of the church.
- No 18 Hotel
- Raintree restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kochi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kochi and book an accommodation of your choice.
94.9% of people who visit Kochi include St. Francis Church in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
44.85% of people start their St. Francis Church visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see St. Francis Church
74.07% of people prefer walking in order to reach St. Francis Church