Visit Kolkata - Best of Kolkata
Kolkata is called the ‘City of furious, creative energy’. Four words which describe the spirit of this city so well. Kolkata is the capital of the Indian state of Bengal. It is the cultural capital of India and also the former political capital during the British times. It is the largest commercial centre in East India. It is also the home of the West Bengal legislative assembly.
It is said that you will either love this city or hate it. No matter what happens, you will definitely not forget it. The wealth of Bengali culture is seen in its literary, artistic and scholastic thought. Bengal Renaissance, led by Swami Vivekananda, Raja Ram Mohan Roy was the changing factor in the new face of Kolkata in the British Raj. The city also started a nationalist movement reacting against the prevalent academic art styles in the early 20th century. It has been known for the quality education that it provides through the different universities in the city.
Great artists, poets and revolutionary leaders who took India by storm have been from this city – and their influence will be found throughout Kolkata tourism. It is noted for its distinct architectural style. The city is recognized for its appreciation of Indian classical music and Rabindra sangeet. Theatre and films are an important part of Kolkata. Oscar winning Director Satyajit Ray was from Kolkata and made his films in Bengali.
Bengali literature is rich with the works of authors such as Rabindranath Tagore, Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, KaziNazrul Islam, and Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay. They are known all over the world for their progressive work.
Whenever you travel in Kolkata, you will see paras, or community neighbourhoods with a strong bond. The residents always engage in intellectual or creative talks in the evenings – you’ll find them hanging around popular tourist places of Kolkata.
Kolkata has grown rapidly in the last few years. It is the 8th biggest urban agglomeration in the world.
Kolkata Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Kolkata tips for your visit
Essential Info in Kolkata
- Time Zone- UTC+05:30
- Currency- Indian National Rupee (INR)
- Electricity: Power in India is 230 Volts, 50 Hz. Internet 3G compatibility (4G recently introduced)
- Languages- Bengali, Hindi and English
- Security- Numbers for emergency
- Ambulance - 108
- Fire- 101
- Police 100
- Tipping- Tipping is appreciated but optional
- In case of international tourists, always carry your Indian visa with you.
- Carry a security belt to hold your important documents and money.
- Carry photocopies of your important documents.
- Communicate with the lively and eloquent locals. It will help you gain a deeper perspective.
- Try the local cuisine and street food of the city.
- Bring a phrase book and city guide with you. It will make the trip more fruitful and you will be well informed about a site before visiting it.
- Dress according to the area that you are visiting.
- Bargain when you buy anything. Vendors charge much more than what the commodity is worth.
- Travelling with a few companions is recommended.
- Carry sunglasses, scarves and sunscreen lotion during summer visit.
- Beware of the pickpockets; there are a lot of them In Kolkata.
- Do not travel at night on your own. Do that only if you have a trustworthy person who knows the city with you.
- If travelling alone, don’t publicize it.
- Do not litter in Public.
- Do not fall for scams of local agents and touts. In need, contact a police officer or approach the traffic policeman.
- Do not wear a lot of jewellery while travelling and avoid carrying cash. Carry a debit card instead.
- Don’t miss visiting the Learning centres that Bengalis are so proud of!
Are you looking for a Kolkata travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Kolkata Tourist Information
Kolkata Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Kolkata
Save 7%Kolkata Sightseeing Tour New on TripHobo
Duration: 8 Hrs
A perfect way to gather the archaeological gems spread across the city. Calcutta (now Kolkata) is called the City of Pa...
Save 8%Kolkata Day Tour Package For Upto 6 People New on TripHobo
Duration: 8 Hrs
Time can be a constraint for some travelers and you might want to pack in as much as you can in a short period of time. This ...
Morning tour of Kolkata with Flower Market New on TripHobo
Duration: 4 Hrs
Start your journey with the hotel pick up and a visit to the flower market. Post Flower market visit, enjoy tea at the Prinse...Book Now
Save 9%Stroll Through The Popular Book Street New on TripHobo
Duration: 2 Hrs 30 Mins
Stroll along the pathways of the largest book market in India at College Street, aka Boi Para (Book Street), a prominent cent...
Popular Hotels in KolkataView all Hotels in Kolkata
More about Kolkata
Explore Kolkata Like A True Foodie!
- Calcutta is not for everyone.
You want your city clean and green, stick to Delhi.
You want your city rich and impersonal, go to Bombay.
You want them hi-tech and full of draught beer, Bangalore’s your place.
But if you want a city with a soul, come to Calcutta
7 Best Book Cafes In Kolkata
- Kolkata has always been known as ‘The City of Joy’. The joy is not confined only to celebrating series of festivals round the year or sharing an eternal bond with music and food.
13 Haunted Places In Kolkata
- Bored of exploring the top attractions in Kolkata? In search of someplace offbeat and thrilling? We have made just the list for you and we solemnly promise that no amusement park ride will give you as much a thrill as a visit to one of these places.
- Bhadreswar Tourism
- Polanda Tourism
- Kakdwip Tourism
- Ranahat Tourism
- Gangasagar Tourism
- Lalbagh Tourism
- Digha Tourism
- Salkia Tourism
- Bhadrapur Tourism
- Baidyanathpur Tourism
- Bokaro Steel City Tourism
- Barharwa Tourism
- Agra Tourism
- Leh Tourism
- Mumbai Tourism
- Delhi Tourism
- Amritsar Tourism
- Chennai Tourism
- Jaipur Tourism
- Panaji Tourism
- Varanasi Tourism
Facts and Stats for Kolkata*
Pollution Statistics in Kolkata
Know the pollution level of Kolkata before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 72.5 (High)
Water Pollution 67.92 (High)
Noise and Light Pollution 60.62 (High)
Unattended dirt and garbage 65.68 (High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 55.17 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 68.26 (High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 65.21 (High)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 53.57 (Moderate)
Kolkata: Crime and Safety
How safe is Kolkata for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Kolkata.
Burglary and Theft 48.7 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 47.61 (Moderate)
Assault and Armed Robbery 50 (Moderate)
Corruption and Bribery 82.88 (Very High)
Car Stealing 46.05 (Moderate)
Robbery of Car belongings 48.16 (Moderate)
Attacks 40.69 (Moderate)
Drug offense 38.56 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 73.18 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 42.89 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 47.37 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 24.2 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 55.05 (Moderate)
Living in Kolkata - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Kolkata is 92.98 (Moderate)
Safety Index 49.85 (Moderate)
Climate Index 59.85 (Moderate)
Pollution Index 78.08 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 62.46 (Very High)
Cost of Living Index 25.39 (Very Low)
Health Care Index 54.61 (Moderate)
Property Price to Income Ratio 11.36 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 58.62 (Low)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Kolkata
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Kolkata
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.01 USD
International Movie per seat 3.67 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 32.01 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 50.84 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 34.23 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.