Events and Festivals in Kolkata
Events and Festivals in Kolkata
Kolkata is the cultural capital of the country. It holds many festivities throughout the year. Along with religious festivals, Kolkata is known for its celebration of life through artistic interpretations. This is showcased in the various art events happening all year long.
- Durga Puja: Durga Puja is a festival that every Bengali in Kolkata waits for eagerly. If you want to experience the passionate energy of this city, you have to visit during Durga Puja. It is celebrated with a lot more grandeur than Diwali in Kolkata. Crackers and Candles everywhere, the Puja brings the citizens together irrespective of their faith. It is celebrated in the first week of October. Gifts are exchanged. It is a tradition to gift clothes before the Puja and sweets after it. Durga Puja is also the best time to get acquainted to traditional Bengali food.
- Saraswati Puja:Saraswati or the goddess of learning is worshipped by students. Beautiful Idols are worshipped by family gatherings and learning institutes. Idols are sculpted in the traditional Kumartuli style.
- Kali Puja: Kali puja happens in November. Goddess kali is celebrated and worshipped every night. It is celebrated during Diwali. The puja differs according to the area you come from (Ghoti or West and Bangal or East). It follows the lunar calendar.
- Christmas: Christmas was a huge affair in Kolkata during the British times. It still shows in the way this city lights up during December. The Anglo-Indian community in the city gears up for the celebration of Christ’s birth and the whole city joins them.
- Eid:The Muslim community in Kolkata is significant and celebrates Eid the month of Ramadan. Huge feasts are laid out for Muslims and Non-Muslims alike. Restaurants also offer Muslim traditional fare on this day.
Other festivals like RathYatra, Dol (the Bengali equivalent of Holi), Ganesh Puja, and Jagadhatri Puja are celebrated in the city. The Sikh and Parsi minorities celebrate GurnanakJayanti and Nawroz.
- Kolkata Boi Mela: Asia’s biggest book Fair is staged in Maidan Park area for ten days in January. Famous authors visit this book fair which has become one of the most important book fairs in the world. Young people also get an opportunity to showcase their literary talent here.
- Dover Lane Music festival: Dover lane music festival is held at the open air theatre Nazrul Mancha in every January. It is a prestigious music festival that stages well known artists from the Hindustani branch of Indian classical music. Large crowds gather to hear their favorite masters.
- Kolkata film festival: Bengal has always been ahead of the time when it comes to cinema. Bengali cinema is the pride not only of Bengal but the entire country. Kolkata film festival showcases regional cinema along with international films.
National Theatre Festival, National children’s Theatre Festival and Kolkata International Music Festival are other events.
Trip plans for Kolkata
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of
Kolkata Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Kolkata
New on TripHobo Duration: 1 Hrs 10 Mins
Enjoy a Hassle-Free Welcome or Departure in Kolkata (Calcutta) with this private transfer service. Meet your driver at K...
USD 18.9Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: 3 Hrs
With this Private Guided Tour you will visit The Mother House of the Missionaries of Charity, in Calcutta, which is the...
USD 37Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: 2 Hrs
Take a unique walk to experience life beyond the life you know in Kolkata. Lets give them a chance to be one of us by creatin...
USD 49.99Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: 4 Hrs
Durga Puja brings Kolkata to a fever pitchof colorful chaotic mayhem as it is thebiggest and the most celebrated holiday of t...
USD 45Book Now
- Events & Festivals in Cities Near Kolkata
- Events & Festivals in Santragachi
- Events & Festivals in Jaynagar
- Events & Festivals in Amarpur
- Events & Festivals in Amratala
- Events & Festivals in Tangra
- Events & Festivals in Champahati
- Events & Festivals in Thakur Pukur
- Events & Festivals in Deganga
- Events & Festivals in Bora
- Events & Festivals in Doara
- Events & Festivals in Barakar
- Events & Festivals in Garden Reach
- Events & Festivals in Cities around the world
- Events & Festivals in Richmond
- Events & Festivals in Roselands
- Events & Festivals in Grinnell
- Events & Festivals in Caldwell
- Events & Festivals in Rolling Prairie
- Events & Festivals in Seagraves
- Events & Festivals in Judsonia
- Events & Festivals in Callahan
- Events & Festivals in Eureka
- Events & Festivals in Howard