Events and Festivals in Kolkata
Kolkata is the cultural capital of the country. It holds many festivities throughout the year. Along with religious festivals, Kolkata is known for its celebration of life through artistic interpretations. This is showcased in the various art events happening all year long.
- Durga Puja: Durga Puja is a festival that every Bengali in Kolkata waits for eagerly. If you want to experience the passionate energy of this city, you have to visit during Durga Puja. It is celebrated with a lot more grandeur than Diwali in Kolkata. Crackers and Candles everywhere, the Puja brings the citizens together irrespective of their faith. It is celebrated in the first week of October. Gifts are exchanged. It is a tradition to gift clothes before the Puja and sweets after it. Durga Puja is also the best time to get acquainted to traditional Bengali food.
- Saraswati Puja:Saraswati or the goddess of learning is worshipped by students. Beautiful Idols are worshipped by family gatherings and learning institutes. Idols are sculpted in the traditional Kumartuli style.
- Kali Puja: Kali puja happens in November. Goddess kali is celebrated and worshipped every night. It is celebrated during Diwali. The puja differs according to the area you come from (Ghoti or West and Bangal or East). It follows the lunar calendar.
- Christmas: Christmas was a huge affair in Kolkata during the British times. It still shows in the way this city lights up during December. The Anglo-Indian community in the city gears up for the celebration of Christ’s birth and the whole city joins them.
- Eid:The Muslim community in Kolkata is significant and celebrates Eid the month of Ramadan. Huge feasts are laid out for Muslims and Non-Muslims alike. Restaurants also offer Muslim traditional fare on this day.
Other festivals like RathYatra, Dol (the Bengali equivalent of Holi), Ganesh Puja, and Jagadhatri Puja are celebrated in the city. The Sikh and Parsi minorities celebrate GurnanakJayanti and Nawroz.
- Kolkata Boi Mela: Asia’s biggest book Fair is staged in Maidan Park area for ten days in January. Famous authors visit this book fair which has become one of the most important book fairs in the world. Young people also get an opportunity to showcase their literary talent here.
- Dover Lane Music festival: Dover lane music festival is held at the open air theatre Nazrul Mancha in every January. It is a prestigious music festival that stages well known artists from the Hindustani branch of Indian classical music. Large crowds gather to hear their favorite masters.
- Kolkata film festival: Bengal has always been ahead of the time when it comes to cinema. Bengali cinema is the pride not only of Bengal but the entire country. Kolkata film festival showcases regional cinema along with international films.
National Theatre Festival, National children’s Theatre Festival and Kolkata International Music Festival are other events.
Trip plans for Kolkata
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Kolkata
Kolkata Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Kolkata
Private Tour: Kolkata Sightseeing Including Mother House, University of Calcutta and Victoria Memorial8 Reviews
Duration: 8 Hrs
Spend a day visiting Kolkatas most iconic landmarks on this private tour of the West Bengal capital. Visit religious sanctuar...Book Now
Full-Day Kolkata Sightseeing Tour Including Lunch2 Reviews
Duration: 7 Hrs
Visit some of Kolkatas most beloved landmarks on a 7-hour, small-group tour with a local guide that includes hotel pickup and...Book Now
Full-Day Custom Private Tour of Kolkata2 Reviews
Duration: 8 Hrs
This 8-hour custom tour of Kolkata enables you to explore the city in your own way. Allow your guide to help you to choose th...Book Now
Kolkata Uptown Food Tour
Duration: 4 Hrs
Get set for Kolkatas finest food tour open to just 8 exclusive guests each evening. Greet your guide as the sun sets and take...Book Now
- Events & Festivals in Deganga
- Events & Festivals in Polanda
- Events & Festivals in Banglani
- Events & Festivals in Chhenyagar
- Events & Festivals in Kakdwip
- Events & Festivals in Gangasagar
- Events & Festivals in Medinipur Sadar
- Events & Festivals in Digha
- Events & Festivals in Salkia
- Events & Festivals in Agra
- Events & Festivals in Leh
- Events & Festivals in Mumbai
- Events & Festivals in Delhi
- Events & Festivals in Amritsar
- Events & Festivals in Chennai
- Events & Festivals in Ordu
- Events & Festivals in Jerez
- Events & Festivals in Estes Park
- Events & Festivals in Joao Pessoa
- Events & Festivals in Zion National Park
- Events & Festivals in Grand Canyon National Park
- Events & Festivals in Nassau
- Events & Festivals in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Events & Festivals in Portofino