- Address: Konark, Puri, Orissa 752111, India
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-6758236821
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Village, Historical Site, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Picnic Spot
About Kuruma, Konark
Kuruma is a small village in Puri and is alternatively known as Kurum. This place is important as a tourist spot due to its historical significance. This place is said to have been set up during the early 11th century and it is also known that there was a Buddhist Stupa here. This place is very close to the Konark Sun Temple and this makes it a convenient place for all tourists.
The site was first spotted by a local school teacher Brajabandhu Das and thus started the excavations. Before this there was stone slap with a carving of a cross legged idol of lord Buddha was found over here. In this image one hand of the Lord is placed on his knee and the other in Bhumisparsha mudra. He is also seen here wearing a beautiful crown and a necklace. The other two images found near this tank are of Yama, the death God and another is called as Heruka which is known as Dharma or the Sun God. This Buddhist Monastery has 12 blocks with three in each cardinal direction and an open courtyard in the center.
- Photography is allowed here free of charge.
- The abandoned idols and images are now worshipped under a small shed and a local museum like place is also made here for the tourists.
How To reach Kuruma by Public Transport
- The nearest railway station is the Bhubaneshwar Junction.
- The nearest airport is the Biju Patnaik Airport.
Restaurants Near Kuruma
- Kamat Restaurant
- Santoshi Restaurant
- Geetanjali Restaurant
- Sun Temple Restaurant
- Santi Restaurant
- Deluxe Restaurant
- Baba Sweet Shop
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Konark before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Konark and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Kuruma
95% of people who visit Konark include Kuruma in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
72.31% of people start their Kuruma visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Kuruma
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kuruma