Muenster Unserer Lieben FrauCurrently Closed
- Address: Munsterpl. 1, 78462 Konstanz, Germany
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-753190620
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
There is mention of a church in Konstanz since the 7th century. The splendid Romanesque-Gothic building you see today was began construction in the 11th century, but it took a long time to complete. Its final look was achieved as recently as 1860, when the neo-Gothic tower was raised. Its highlights are:
- The Crypt, which contains some ancient treasures.
- The Mauritius Rotunda – Check out the Gothic and Renaissance murals. A replica of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem was once an important pilgrimage point.
- The 13th-15th century cloisters.
- Konrad Chapel – The Crucifixion altar of Bishop Hugo von Hohenlandenberg.
- The beautiful sculptures of the Welser Chapel.
- Westwerk: Renaissance organ
The cathedral is the tallest building in Old Town. You can climb the cathedral tower for a fee – it’s 52 metres high, and the views of Old Town from the top are fantastic.
There is a culture centre here that organises various events. Check it out online.
- The tower climb is tiring.
- EUR 2 to climb the cathedral tower.
- Buses 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 13, 12 stop Konzilstr / Theater, Konstanz
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Konstanz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Konstanz and book an accommodation of your choice.
85.16% of people who visit Konstanz include Muenster Unserer Lieben Frau in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
41.13% of people start their Muenster Unserer Lieben Frau visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Muenster Unserer Lieben Frau
68.84% of people prefer walking in order to reach Muenster Unserer Lieben Frau
Very beautiful church with a very rich historical background. Highly recommend taking the time for a tour (you can tip the students) to get the full explanation of the many changes this church has undergone in the more than one thousand years of its life. Spend at least an hour here, as there is much to absorb.
A beautiful Cathedral, in the centre of the city, within walking distance of the Katamaran port (and Christmas market during December). Free to enter but do be quiet and respectful (maybe not the best place for very noisy children), and maybe make a contribution, there are also some quiet side chapels for prayer/ memorial candles. Outside you can see a section of the Roman Fort which used to stand at the site.
What an architecture and history!!
Beautiful catholic church. Must see when in Konstanz. If you want to run away from the busy world for a moment than go inside. Inside you will find peace and quiet place surrounded by amazing pieces of history.
Spectacular cathedral, must visit if you are in Konstanz.