Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park, Kota Kinabalu
Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park, Kota Kinabalu - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Ticket Price: 10 MYR
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 10.1K times in trip plans
National Park, Park, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park, Kota Kinabalu
Tunku Abdul Rahman is not just one island. It is a cluster of islands: Pulau Gaya, Pulau Sapi, Pulau Manukan, Pulau Mamutik, and Pulau Sulug. As the islands are only a short boat ride away from Kota Kinabalu it is a popular destination among day-trippers (locals and tourists) however, it can be quite crowded during weekends. There are a few resorts within the marine park, so people can also stay here for a few days. The five islands that make up the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park are all located within a short boat ride from each other. Gaya and Manukan are the biggest islands within the marine park (though Manukan is tiny compared to Gaya). Both have a few trails for those that like walking through the jungles. Further, the island is quite famous as it has quite a few nice dive spots within the marine park (well over 25 dive sites in total). Some of the resorts on this island also have their own dive centre where you can make the necessary arrangements.
Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park Information
- Do not head out to the marine park during bad weather. Especially between November and February seas can be quote rough. Stay safe!
- The local community at the western part of Gaya Island should be avoided as the town mainly consists of illegal immigrants.
- Bring along enough sun lotion and insect repellant (especially the sand flies can be a nuisance).
- If you are planning to visit the more secluded islands, be sure to bring along enough water (and perhaps some light snacks) as there are no facilities at these places.
- If you are visiting the marine park in the weekend, make sure you do not take the last boats back to Kota Kinabalu as they can be very crowded! Depart at 3pm instead of 4.30pm.
- It is possible to camp at some of the islands. You can bring your own tent or rent one. To stay overnight at these camp sites you need to arrange a permit up front at Sabah Parks (see contact details below).
Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park Ticket Prices
- Child: 6 RM
- For Malaysians: Adult: RM3, child RM1
How To reach Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park by Public Transport
- By Ferry and speedboat: Jesselton Point: Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kota Kinabalu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kota Kinabalu and book an accommodation of your choice.
Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park, Kota Kinabalu Reviews - Write a Review
Bad - Dead corals. Limited snorkeling space shared with plenty of other tourist. Good - Near to KK. Facilities well equipped. Lifeguard on duty. Cool Marine info building.
Beautiful islands. But, there are lots of debris floating in the sea and washed to the shore where we were snorkling. Should do something to make sure its always cleans.
The islands are beautiful and offer nice snorkelling options. HOWEVER it is very dirty, with empty bottles, plastics bags and packaging littering the beaches and floating in he water. Each time you go to the islands you pay a RM10 "conservation" fee. Where is this going? I never saw anyone cleaning the beaches.
Tourist Tip: 1. Travel light or backpack and do not bring your damn luggage to the island! 2. Lost of luggage or belongings will not be the responsibility of the resort or staff! 3. When travelling from the jetty to the island, please keep your damn garbage in the boat till arrive to destination and dispose it at a nearest garbage can/dustbin. Do not litter the ocean! 4. Do not leave your belongings in the hands of the staff. Yes, they will go missing. Lol! 5. Suffering from sea sickness? Eat a ripen banana. Happy Travel
Just a short 20 minutes speedboat ride from KK town. Awesome snorkelling and white sandy beach.