Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park, Kota KinabaluCurrently Closed
- Address: Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
- Timings: 08:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +60-88523500
- Ticket Price: 10 MYR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: National Park, Park, Family And Kids, Nature
About Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park, Kota Kinabalu
Tunku Abdul Rahman is not just one island. It is a cluster of islands: Pulau Gaya, Pulau Sapi, Pulau Manukan, Pulau Mamutik, and Pulau Sulug. As the islands are only a short boat ride away from Kota Kinabalu it is a popular destination among day-trippers (locals and tourists) however, it can be quite crowded during weekends. There are a few resorts within the marine park, so people can also stay here for a few days. The five islands that make up the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park are all located within a short boat ride from each other. Gaya and Manukan are the biggest islands within the marine park (though Manukan is tiny compared to Gaya). Both have a few trails for those that like walking through the jungles. Further, the island is quite famous as it has quite a few nice dive spots within the marine park (well over 25 dive sites in total). Some of the resorts on this island also have their own dive centre where you can make the necessary arrangements.
Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park Information
- Do not head out to the marine park during bad weather. Especially between November and February seas can be quote rough. Stay safe!
- The local community at the western part of Gaya Island should be avoided as the town mainly consists of illegal immigrants.
- Bring along enough sun lotion and insect repellant (especially the sand flies can be a nuisance).
- If you are planning to visit the more secluded islands, be sure to bring along enough water (and perhaps some light snacks) as there are no facilities at these places.
- If you are visiting the marine park in the weekend, make sure you do not take the last boats back to Kota Kinabalu as they can be very crowded! Depart at 3pm instead of 4.30pm.
- It is possible to camp at some of the islands. You can bring your own tent or rent one. To stay overnight at these camp sites you need to arrange a permit up front at Sabah Parks (see contact details below).
Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park Ticket Prices
- Child: 6 RM
- For Malaysians: Adult: RM3, child RM1
How To reach Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park by Public Transport
- By Ferry and speedboat: Jesselton Point: Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kota Kinabalu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kota Kinabalu and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park
95% of people who visit Kota Kinabalu include Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
34.5% of people start their Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park
78.39% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park
Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park, Kota Kinabalu Reviews
Lovely place, crystal clear waters. One can see the fishes swimming beneath the seawater. Very clean area. Fresh seafood prepared by the beach. Lovely hospitality. Amazing Atmosphere, a great place for honeymooner and couples. One time visit is never enough.
I've been to all the islands. Manukan Island is still my favorite. It has longer white sand beach and more facilities. First time here was 18 years ago and now a bit dated. Need a new facelift. A good mix of local and foreign tourists having a fun time. Will go again.
Lovely places but can get very busy. Good reasonable food at cafe near jetty. I little concerned with the rubbish & plastic walking from zip wire drop off.
It's okay to have a relaxing swim and snorkel.. Not much of marine animals to see. The fish and coral reef is not as healthy.
Totally love it. There are alot of people but everything was manageable. Clean beach and great view. But would suggest for Sapi Island for the best snorkeling experience.
All QuestionsTunku abdul rahman national park
- Attractions near Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park
- Water Village
- Borneo Global Backpackers
- Sabah Museum
- Imago Shopping Mall
- Sabah State Mosque
- Monsopiad Cultural Village
- Signal Hill Observatory Tower
- Oceanus Waterfront Mall
- Mount Kinabalu Golf Club
- Kedai Kopi Fook Yuen
- Temple Sri Pashupatinath Alayam
- Water World Theme Park