Visit Kovalam - Best of Kovalam
Kovalam is located by the Arabian Sea in the Indian state of Kerala. The name of the state has been derived from the Malayali word ‘Kovalam,’ which means ‘Grove of coconut trees’ and as the name suggests, the city’s most prominent character is the endless rows of coconut trees. The city first came to light in the 1920’s with the construction of the first beach resort called Halcyon Castle by the Regent Maharani Sethu Lakshmi Bayi of Travancore. The spot soon turned into a tourist and beach destination for the European guests of the 1930’s. Kovalam once again shot into limelight in the early seventies with arrivals of the masses of hippies on their way to Ceylon in the Hippie Trail, exposing the rich and unique culture of the area and transforming it into one of the most sought after travel destinations in the world. Today this pristine land boasts white sand beaches, stunning views of the Arabian Sea, ayurvedic treatments, lakes, rivers, historical structures, shopping districts, excellent cuisine, outdoor activities and adventure sports, aptly giving it the name of the ‘Paradise of the South’. In the relaxed, tranquil ambience of Kovalam, one can spend the day loafing on warm sand, watch the sun set, visit the beach shacks or rejuvenate the senses by indulging in a well renowned Ayurveda Massage. Kovalam is a land of endless possibilities and it is inevitable that one would stumble upon some new treasures and exciting adventures that the city has to offer.
Kovalam Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Kovalam tips for your visit
- Kovalam Time Zone – IST (Indian Standard Time) GMT+5:30
- Currency – The currency used in Kochi is Indian Rupee.
- Electricity – India uses 230 Volts, 50 Hz alternating current as the power source. Plugs and sockets have grounded / earthed 3 Pin connections (Type D) or ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type C).
- Internet – 3G, Wi-Fi connections are available in almost all the hotels in the city.
- Languages – The dominant languages spoken in Kovalam are Malayalam and English
- Security – Police – 100, Ambulance – 102, Fire – 101
- Tipping: Tipping is a common practice in Kovalam. The tips should not be more than 15% of the bill. At high-class restaurants and hotels, generally a 10 per cent service surcharge is added to the bill. Tipping at such places is discretionary.
- Ask for permission before photographing local people and places.
- Remember, to remove headgear, footwear and cover your body reasonably well when visiting religious places. Locals generally wear white or sober colours. Conservative dress is the norm.
- Some of the areas in our itinerary are fragile in nature and hence refrain from activities, which may pose negative impacts there.
- Do not litter. Litter management is essential for the pleasant upkeep of the destination.
- Kovalam is a conservative city and demonstrating affection in public like hugging or kissing is not an accepted practice in Kerala.
- Heavy penalties including imprisonment for possession of narcotic drugs. Do not carry drugs to the city.
- Nudity is not allowed in any Kerala beach.
- Tap water in India is not drinkable water. Always try to carry mineral water with you and avoid unsafe water from taps for drinking
- Don't encourage beggars by giving them money or any kind.
- Pickpockets are often attracted to crowded places. Be aware of someone who bumps, shoves or gets too close.
- Do not leave any articles such as phones, purses and wallets unattended.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Kovalam and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Kovalam- Know before you go to Kovalam
Facts and Stats for Kovalam*
Pollution Statistics in Kovalam
Know the pollution level of Kovalam before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 54.08 (Moderate)
Water Pollution 56.4 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 46.51 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 62.5 (High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 43.6 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 84.15 (Very High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 51.63 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 49.4 (Moderate)
Kovalam: Crime and Safety
How safe is Kovalam for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Kovalam.
Burglary and Theft 32.81 (Low)
Mugging and Robbery 29.84 (Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 25.78 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 54.17 (Moderate)
Car Stealing 28.91 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 27.34 (Low)
Attacks 22.66 (Low)
Drug offense 33.59 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 83.59 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 54.03 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 24.19 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 14.52 (Very Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 34.38 (Low)
Living in Kovalam - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Kovalam is 132.22 (High)
Safety Index 67.8 (High)
Climate Index 65.29 (High)
Pollution Index 63.75 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 50.1 (High)
Cost of Living Index 20.53 (Very Low)
Health Care Index 73.86 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 13.02 (High)
Purchasing Power Index 74.1 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Kovalam
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Kovalam
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.02 USD
International Movie per seat 1.99 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 19.04 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 42.11 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 28.94 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Kovalam Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Kovalam
- Cities Near Kovalam
- Trivandrum Tourism
- Varkala Tourism
- Kollam Tourism
- Thekkady Tourism
- Alleppey Tourism
- Munnar Tourism
- Kalayapuram Tourism
- Chirayinkeezhu Tourism
- Palayankottai Railway Station Tourism
- Top cities from India
- Agra Tourism
- Leh Tourism
- Mumbai Tourism
- Delhi Tourism
- Amritsar Tourism
- Chennai Tourism
- Dehu Tourism
- Penha De França Tourism
- Sodiem Siolim Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Paris Tourism
- Prague Tourism
- Rome Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- London Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Chiyoda Tourism
- Caloocan City Tourism
- Leganés Tourism