Auschwitz-birkenau State Museum1954 Votes Currently Open
Words cannot begin to describe the horror that took place in this camp. The Museum encompasses the entire Auschwitz concentration camp and its surrounding buildings. It is estimated that over 1.1 million people were killed here, a majority of them Jews. The camp has come to symbolize the Nazi atrocities against the Jewish people. The museum today educates visitors and researches the Holocaust.
Auschwitz-birkenau State Museum Travel Tips
- It takes at least three hours to tour the museum, sometimes more.
- Not suitable for visitors under the age of 14.
- Dress and behave with respect and solemnity.
- It can get crowded, so arrive early at the bus stop.
- Flash photography and the use of tripods are prohibited. Photography is prohibited in certain areas, look for the signs.
- Always follow the instructions of guides and the security guards.
- Do not visit under the influence of any substance.
- Smoking and the consumption of food are prohibited.
- Large bags are not allowed inside.
- A guided tour will cost around 10 Euros, but it will be a far more insightful experience and is recommended to viewing the museum without a guide.
- Dress appropriately. Behave respectfully.
Auschwitz-birkenau State Museum Hours
- The timings for English guided tours are : 10.30 a.m., 11.30 a.m., 12.30 p.m., 1.20 p.m.
- Each tour lasts for three and a half hours. Call ahead to reserve as the museum receives thousands of visitors every day
How to Reach Auschwitz-birkenau State Museum
- Buses are available from the Krakow bus station to the Auschwitz-Birkenau museum.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Krakow before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Krakow and book an accommodation of your choice.
43.75% of people who visit Krakow include Auschwitz-birkenau State Museum in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
82.35% of people start their Auschwitz-birkenau State Museum visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
3 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 3 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Auschwitz-birkenau State Museum
73.33% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Auschwitz-birkenau State Museum