Main Market Square, Krakow
Main Market Square, Krakow - Address
Address: 30-062 Kraków, Poland
Time Required: 00:15 Mins
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 25.3K times in trip plans
Market, Square, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Main Market Square, Krakow
Overshadowed in fame by the Main Market Square, this cousin square behind St. Barbara Church has nevertheless played an important role in Krakow’s history. It was the location of the city’s first and longest running parish school, at the at the junction of Stolarska and Sienna Streets; it was closed in the early 19th century. As its name says, it also used to a thriving market space, with goods spread out on tables along the edges. A lot of the architecture you see here is older than the main square. Look for No 7, a 14th century tenement house with wooden cloisters where the Marians once resided. The pavilions, lanterns and benches installed here recently have made it a popular cultural space where festivals are celebrated.
Main Market Square Information
- Stroll around the area, it contains many attractions that deserve time for viewing. Try to spend some time here.
- The place is obviously geared towards tourists, but to tourists of all kinds. Both luxury and budget options are available.
- It can get very crowded here, during tourist season and over holidays.
- As with any tourist destination, watch out for people touting restaurants and annoying tourists.
- Sit at one of the street cafes and observe the street life here, it is said to be one of the best in Europe.
- Wierzynek is a restaurant that has been around since medieval times, famous for a 21 day long feast in honour of a royal wedding back in 1364! You don’t have to eat there, but be sure to visit it.
- There are many restaurants lining the area.
How To reach Main Market Square by Public Transport
- Drive to here from outside Krakow Old Town.
- Walk or cycle to here if you’re inside Krakow Old Town.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Krakow before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Krakow and book an accommodation of your choice.
Main Market Square Culture & Theme Based Tours
Main Market Square Sightseeing Tours
Main Market Square Rentals
Main Market Square Food & Nightlife Tours
Main Market Square, Krakow Reviews - Write a Review
Very spacious main square, with a beautiful Church to top things off. The square has street musicians and performers often giving a show. And if you get there early the Pelt market inside the building is also worth a visit. Walking tours from many companies start near the entrance of the church and the tourist center is just inside the building located at the middle of the square.
A very large main square with a market in the cloth hall (centre of the square). Unfortunately it just sells items you can buy anywhere and is a bit touristy. When I went the Christmas market was in with live music, food and drink available. Plenty of lovely looking buildings to admire from the square. Worth doing a couple of loops to soak it all in.
The area has a lot of options for food and shopping. You have the opportunity to truly see the polish culture and some national landmarks. Perfect area to visit during the Christmas and summer as they have markets and many events.
The best starting point for a visit of Krakow, if now very touristic. The market there is pretty and the building very impressive, but don't be afraid to explore the rest of the city! Krakow has many interesting things to see and experience and the market should be a first :)
Great square especially at Christmas. Easy to find, lots of bars and restaurants. Shops too. Recommend