Main Market Square3627 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 30-062 Kraków, Poland, Krakow
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 00:15 Mins
- Tags: Market, Square, Family And Kids
Overshadowed in fame by the Main Market Square, this cousin square behind St. Barbara Church has nevertheless played an important role in Krakow’s history. It was the location of the city’s first and longest running parish school, at the at the junction of Stolarska and Sienna Streets; it was closed in the early 19th century. As its name says, it also used to a thriving market space, with goods spread out on tables along the edges. A lot of the architecture you see here is older than the main square. Look for No 7, a 14th century tenement house with wooden cloisters where the Marians once resided. The pavilions, lanterns and benches installed here recently have made it a popular cultural space where festivals are celebrated.
Main Market Square Travel Tips
- Stroll around the area, it contains many attractions that deserve time for viewing. Try to spend some time here.
- The place is obviously geared towards tourists, but to tourists of all kinds. Both luxury and budget options are available.
- It can get very crowded here, during tourist season and over holidays.
- As with any tourist destination, watch out for people touting restaurants and annoying tourists.
- Sit at one of the street cafes and observe the street life here, it is said to be one of the best in Europe.
- Wierzynek is a restaurant that has been around since medieval times, famous for a 21 day long feast in honour of a royal wedding back in 1364! You don’t have to eat there, but be sure to visit it.
- There are many restaurants lining the area.
How to Reach Main Market Square
- Drive to here from outside Krakow Old Town.
- Walk or cycle to here if you’re inside Krakow Old Town.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Krakow before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Krakow and book an accommodation of your choice.
81.21% of people who visit Krakow include Main Market Square in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
27.27% of people start their Main Market Square visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Main Market Square
68.82% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Main Market Square