Poland’s second oldest theater was established in 1781. And ever since then it has become an indispensable part of Polish culture. Various theatre directors have added personal flairs to the many productions over the years. In 1906,the building was given an Art Nouveau facelift. After World War II, it resumed operations after a period of inactivity. It is currently named after the famous Shakespearean actress Helena Modrzejewska. The acoustic is sublime, and the productions are excellent and varied. There are few finer ways to spend an evening in Krakow. The building is surrounded by bars and cafes and restaurants, and so the location is perfect for an after-show meal.
- The theatre has a second branch at ul. Starowislna 21 (Telephone :+48 12 428 47 00)
- Late arrivals will not be allowed to enter the theater until break.
- Check the extensive list of rules and regulations on the theater website.
- Recommended time to visit 10:00 am to 06:30 pm.
- There is a major sale on the first Thursday of every month when every ticket for every show in that month is offered for 28 PLN from 09:00am to 12:00am, online and at the box office.
- Ticket prices vary depending on seating and times but are usually around 50 PLN.
- The times given for this attraction are for the box office. The actual show times are different.
- Shows may start at 11:00 am, 04:00 pm, 07:00 pm, 07:15 pm, and 07:30 pm.
- Closed on Mondays.
- Tuesday to Saturday: 11:00 am – 07:00 pm
- Sunday: 11:00 am – 03:30 pm
- Also open one hour before performances.
- Walk or cycle to here from inside Old Town.
- By Car or take a taxi to Old Town.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Krakow before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Krakow and book an accommodation of your choice.
Accidentally select tickets to "Wesele" (the wedding). Lucky that they have standing tickets. I bought 45 minutes before beginning. It was really very cool performance. I couldn't realize that polish poetry could be so cool. Performance is very close to polish history. However, if you could understand language, it is worth to visit. Very strong feeling with meeting with art. Highly suggest to visit! Definitely sure one of the best in kraków.
Nice atmosphere, great shows