St Marys BasilicaCurrently Closed
- Address: St. Mary’s Basilica, Plac Mariacki 5, Krakow, Poland
- Timings: 11:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 10 PLN
- Tags: Art And Culture, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Tower, Architecture
Originally built in the 13th century, the imposing structure that stands opposite the main market square was completed in 1347. Built in the brick Gothic style it has now become a template for Polish style churches all over the world. The brooding exterior, with two towers, the taller at 80 metres built in the classic Gothic spiral, is contrasted by an opulent and rich interior. Of note is the wooden altar piece, which at 13 m of height and 11 m of width, is the largest Gothic altarpiece. It has an interesting history which begins with it being carved in the 15th century by famed Gothic and Renaissance sculptor Veit Stoss. To protect it from the Germans, it was dismantled and kept in crates mere weeks before the Second World War. However the Germans found the crates and looted them, as they often hoarded priceless historical artefacts and works of art to fund the war effort or to add to their collection. The crates ended up in Nuremburg Castle, where despite heavy bombarding they survived and the altar piece was restored to its rightful place and former glory in 1949. Every hour, the HejnaÅ‚ Mariacki, a traditional Polish anthem is played on the trumpet from the top of the taller tower. This is an 8 century old tradition kept alive to this day, with the noon trumpet call being broadcast over the national radio.
- St. Mary’s Basilica is also known as Church of the Virgin Mary, Church of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and in Polish Koacioa‚ Mariacki.
- It is located in the old town, opposite the main market square. You can plan a day around the old town and include the church in your itinerary.
- It can get crowded during tourist season.
- Enquire ahead if the altar piece is open for when you are going to visit.
- Be sure to catch at least one of the traditional trumpet calls.
- The minimal ticket price is worth it for the altar piece and the interiors.
- There are plenty of eateries in the old town.
- Adults : 10 Zloty (around 2.5 Euro)
- Students, children and old aged pensioner : 5 Zloty (around 1.25 Euro)
- The buses numbered 124, 152, 304, 424, 502 and the trams numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 24 and 52 can be taken here. The stop is the Main Market Square.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Krakow before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Krakow and book an accommodation of your choice.
84.44% of people who visit Krakow include St Marys Basilica in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
58.97% of people start their St Marys Basilica visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see St Marys Basilica
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting St Marys Basilica
The bugle tower had fantastic views from the top vantage point. There is no guide to take you up you are on your own. You need to buy a ticket first which you collect from a shop on the opposite side of the tower. (Easily missed!)
It's an architectural masterpiece and from the inside you just keep on looking amazed, the interior is so full of colours and wealthy materials, you can't stop looking astounded. And every hour you can hear the medieval trumpet, 24/7 it's a tourists attraction!!! Anyhow it's something amazing that you don't see and hear very often. Learn the story behind this kinda sad melody, all the walking tour groups tells it.
Unbelievable, I was in awe of this masterpiece, the intricate sculptures, amazing artwork, the stunning architecture is something I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing before, well worth the ticket price if you have an appreciation of all of the above
Beautiful example of Polish Gothic style with fantastic Wit Stwosz’ art tryptic!!! Must see architecture pearl! Great story about trumpet player at noon... 😊
You just have to visit this iconic church. Stood waiting with the pigeons for the clock to strike the hour for the lone trumpet from up high. Waving to him/her like a kid in wonderland.