St Marys Basilica, Krakow
About St Marys Basilica, Krakow
St Marys Basilica, Krakow - Address, Ticket Price
Address: St. Mary’s Basilica, Plac Mariacki 5, Krakow, Poland
Ticket Price: 10 PLN
Timings: 11:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 21.9K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Tower, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Originally built in the 13th century, the imposing structure that stands opposite the main market square was completed in 1347. Built in the brick Gothic style it has now become a template for Polish style churches all over the world. The brooding exterior, with two towers, the taller at 80 metres built in the classic Gothic spiral, is contrasted by an opulent and rich interior. Of note is the wooden altar piece, which at 13 m of height and 11 m of width, is the largest Gothic altarpiece. It has an interesting history which begins with it being carved in the 15th century by famed Gothic and Renaissance sculptor Veit Stoss. To protect it from the Germans, it was dismantled and kept in crates mere weeks before the Second World War. However the Germans found the crates and looted them, as they often hoarded priceless historical artefacts and works of art to fund the war effort or to add to their collection. The crates ended up in Nuremburg Castle, where despite heavy bombarding they survived and the altar piece was restored to its rightful place and former glory in 1949. Every hour, the HejnaÅ‚ Mariacki, a traditional Polish anthem is played on the trumpet from the top of the taller tower. This is an 8 century old tradition kept alive to this day, with the noon trumpet call being broadcast over the national radio.
St Marys Basilica Information
- St. Mary’s Basilica is also known as Church of the Virgin Mary, Church of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and in Polish Koacioa‚ Mariacki.
- It is located in the old town, opposite the main market square. You can plan a day around the old town and include the church in your itinerary.
- It can get crowded during tourist season.
- Enquire ahead if the altar piece is open for when you are going to visit.
- Be sure to catch at least one of the traditional trumpet calls.
- The minimal ticket price is worth it for the altar piece and the interiors.
- There are plenty of eateries in the old town.
St Marys Basilica Ticket Prices
- Adults : 10 Zloty (around 2.5 Euro)
- Students, children and old aged pensioner : 5 Zloty (around 1.25 Euro)
How To reach St Marys Basilica by Public Transport
- The buses numbered 124, 152, 304, 424, 502 and the trams numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 24 and 52 can be taken here. The stop is the Main Market Square.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Krakow before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Krakow and book an accommodation of your choice.
St Marys Basilica, Krakow Reviews - Write a Review
Wonderful church, much more impressive than Krakow's Cathedral. It is very original in its painted and colourful decoration. Also, it is really worth it to go at 12h30 am to see the triptych get opened. From the outside I really liked the disparate towers and the trumpet sound every hour.
Pictures can't do this place justice. If you're religious or not, you should still take the time to admire the superb artwork, carpentry and craftsmanship within this church! Tours are reasonably priced, or you can walk around individually. Additional tickets to climb the high tower are available for an extra (small) price, but this affords spectacular views over the immediate area and the wider city.
Wonderful architecture that is well worth visiting. On the hour a man in traditional costume blows his horn from a window in the tower, and it is said that if you see him wave it is a sign of God luck!
This is an amazing place. The interiors are truly amazing. One of the must visits while in Krakow.
Roman Catholic basilica with a carved altarpiece & hourly trumpet calls from the Gothic watchtower. After hour you will hear a trumpet sound from each corner of the watchtower.
- Nearby Attractions
- Kielbaski Pod Hala Targowa
- Schindler’s Factory
- Good Bye Lenin Revolution Hostel
- Cafe Camelot
- Jagiellonion Library
- Krakow Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Krakow
- What to See in 48 Hours in Krakow
- What to See in 72 Hours in Krakow
- How to Spend 5 Days in Krakow
- How to Spend 6 Days in Krakow
- How to Spend 7 Days in Krakow