St Marys Basilica3185 Votes Currently Open
- Address: St. Mary’s Basilica, Plac Mariacki 5, Krakow, Poland
- Timings: 11:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +48-124220521
- Ticket Price: 10 PLN
- Tags: Art And Culture, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Tower, Architecture
Originally built in the 13th century, the imposing structure that stands opposite the main market square was completed in 1347. Built in the brick Gothic style it has now become a template for Polish style churches all over the world. The brooding exterior, with two towers, the taller at 80 metres built in the classic Gothic spiral, is contrasted by an opulent and rich interior. Of note is the wooden altar piece, which at 13 m of height and 11 m of width, is the largest Gothic altarpiece. It has an interesting history which begins with it being carved in the 15th century by famed Gothic and Renaissance sculptor Veit Stoss. To protect it from the Germans, it was dismantled and kept in crates mere weeks before the Second World War. However the Germans found the crates and looted them, as they often hoarded priceless historical artefacts and works of art to fund the war effort or to add to their collection. The crates ended up in Nuremburg Castle, where despite heavy bombarding they survived and the altar piece was restored to its rightful place and former glory in 1949. Every hour, the HejnaÅ‚ Mariacki, a traditional Polish anthem is played on the trumpet from the top of the taller tower. This is an 8 century old tradition kept alive to this day, with the noon trumpet call being broadcast over the national radio.
St Marys Basilica Travel Tips
- St. Mary’s Basilica is also known as Church of the Virgin Mary, Church of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and in Polish Koacioa‚ Mariacki.
- It is located in the old town, opposite the main market square. You can plan a day around the old town and include the church in your itinerary.
- It can get crowded during tourist season.
- Enquire ahead if the altar piece is open for when you are going to visit.
- Be sure to catch at least one of the traditional trumpet calls.
- The minimal ticket price is worth it for the altar piece and the interiors.
- There are plenty of eateries in the old town.
Entrance Ticket Details For St Marys Basilica
- Adults : 10 Zloty (around 2.5 Euro)
- Students, children and old aged pensioner : 5 Zloty (around 1.25 Euro)
How to Reach St Marys Basilica
- The buses numbered 124, 152, 304, 424, 502 and the trams numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 24 and 52 can be taken here. The stop is the Main Market Square.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Krakow before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Krakow and book an accommodation of your choice.
72.08% of people who visit Krakow include St Marys Basilica in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
58.97% of people start their St Marys Basilica visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see St Marys Basilica
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting St Marys Basilica