How to Reach Battambang
You can reach Battambang easily with plenty of options available for transport.
- By Road: The National Highway 5 and National Highway 6 run past Phnom Penh and Sisophon respectively. Phnom Penh is 4 hours away from Battambang by car and 1 hour from Sisophon.
- As per the new rules passed in 2014, buses are not allowed in the city. The bus station is located 3 kilometers from the city. You can take a tuk-tuk from the bus station to reach the city center. Some private bus companies offer a free van transfer from the city to the bus station.
- By Boat: Daily boat tours are available from Siem Reap. It is a very scenic journey and passes through many floating villages. Depending on the weather condition, the boat journey takes about 4-12 hours to reach Battambang. During the dry season, the boats can’t complete the whole journey and minibuses or trucks are used.
- By Rail: There is a rail running through Tonle Sap Lake to Battambang.
- The city of Battambang is best explored on foot. Most of the prominent attractions are located near the city center and can easily be visited on foot. Some hotels in the city also help you rent bikes to roam around. Tuk-tuks and motorbike drivers are available outside the major tourist attractions in the city. To cross the river in front of the market, ferries are available.