Merdeka SquareCurrently Open
- Address: Jalan Raja, City Centre, 50050 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Art And Culture, Outdoors, Landmark, Walking Area, Historical Site, Market, Square, Family And Kids, Architecture , Heritage Building
On 31 August 1957, here, the Union flag was lowered and the Malaysian flag was raised for the first time. The flagpole is 100 metres high, set in the middle of a giant green field. The square is famous for more than historical reasons. The architecture of the surrounding buildings is quite beautiful. Some of these iconic buildings include:
- Sultan Abdul Samad Building – headquarters of the Ministry of Information, Communication and Culture of Malaysia.
- The 1884 Royal Selangor Club Complex historically used by British officials.
- Kuala Lumpur City Gallery – historical miniatures of Kuala Lumpur.
- St. Mary's Anglican Cathedral - Diocese of West Malaysia & see of the Bishop of West Malaysia.
- The Queen Victoria Fountain.
- The old Kuala Lumpur Railway Station.
The square is the location of the Merdeka parade.
The Merdeka Square is very famous in Kuala Lumpur for reasons more than just its splendid architecture. It also has a deeply significant historical significance for Malaysians. As the site is open for all, there is no ticket for Merdeka Square. It can be visited with the help of tour guides, but for that Merdeka Square ticket prices will vary. You can get a variety of deals to buy tickets for Merdeka Square tours and combine them with other Merdeka Square tickets to make a superb deal. Want to spend a couple of days in this beautiful city? Follow this Kuala Lumpur itinerary 2 days.
- Many historical places to be seen here in Merdeka Square.
- Parking place is offered to visitors.
- U8, U11, U13, U222 stop Bank Agro, LebuhPasarBesar
- U4, U7, U13, U14, U209 stop DataranMerdeka, Lengkok Raja
- Precious Old China Fatt Yan
- Gingers restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kuala Lumpur before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kuala Lumpur and book an accommodation of your choice.
14.95% of people who visit Kuala Lumpur include Merdeka Square in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
37.84% of people start their Merdeka Square visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Merdeka Square
94.95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Merdeka Square
Merdeka is must see places when you visit KL It is a big complex with old building. You will know the history of Malaysia from this area. They have Merdeka Square, Queen Victoria's Fountain and also Sultan Building with Moor architecture And this area connected to the River of Life and the oldest Mosque in KL Very fascinating
Nicely maintained heritage place. I loved the fountain show but it was small one but it's good place for photos. All the shipping markets are nearby so you can spend your time for shopping and roaming also. Good restaurant you get in nearby area. I like china market and little India also. Please do visit central market for all types of souvenir also. Use free bus service.
A vast open park surrounded by some beautiful buildings, unique architecture, if you are lucky you may be able to catch up on some live music too. On the opposite side of the square you will see a beautiful walkway along the canal and a bridge that will take you towards a mosque.
Good experience. The towers are superb. One of the best site to visit and enjoy.It's an pleasure visit here.Absolutely amazing and you will experience one of the best time here.you will spend great time here and it will be an absolutely wonderful visit for anyone and everyone.
One of the best place to take a lot of pictures. They have great architectural designs. A lot of tourist going to this place. Kuala Lumpur is one of the best city in Asia. I would like to go back in this wonderful city.