Merdeka SquareCurrently Open
- Address: Jalan Raja, City Centre, 50050 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Art And Culture, Outdoors, Landmark, Walking Area, Historical Site, Market, Square, Family And Kids, Architecture , Heritage Building
Merdeka Square - Review
On 31 August 1957, here, the Union flag was lowered and the Malaysian flag was raised for the first time. The flagpole is 100 metres high, set in the middle of a giant green field. The square is famous for more than historical reasons. The architecture of the surrounding buildings is quite beautiful. Some of these iconic buildings include:
- Sultan Abdul Samad Building – headquarters of the Ministry of Information, Communication and Culture of Malaysia.
- The 1884 Royal Selangor Club Complex historically used by British officials.
- Kuala Lumpur City Gallery – historical miniatures of Kuala Lumpur.
- St. Mary's Anglican Cathedral - Diocese of West Malaysia & see of the Bishop of West Malaysia.
- The Queen Victoria Fountain.
- The old Kuala Lumpur Railway Station.
The square is the location of the Merdeka parade.
The Merdeka Square is very famous in Kuala Lumpur for reasons more than just its splendid architecture. It also has a deeply significant historical significance for Malaysians. As the site is open for all, there is no ticket for Merdeka Square. It can be visited with the help of tour guides, but for that Merdeka Square ticket prices will vary. You can get a variety of deals to buy tickets for Merdeka Square tours and combine them with other Merdeka Square tickets to make a superb deal. Want to spend a couple of days in this beautiful city? Follow this Kuala Lumpur itinerary 2 days.
Merdeka Square Information
- Many historical places to be seen here in Merdeka Square.
- Parking place is offered to visitors.
How To reach Merdeka Square by Public Transport
- U8, U11, U13, U222 stop Bank Agro, LebuhPasarBesar
- U4, U7, U13, U14, U209 stop DataranMerdeka, Lengkok Raja
Restaurants Near Merdeka Square
- Precious Old China Fatt Yan
- Gingers restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kuala Lumpur before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kuala Lumpur and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Merdeka Square
15% of people who visit Kuala Lumpur include Merdeka Square in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
37.84% of people start their Merdeka Square visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Merdeka Square
94.95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Merdeka Square
Merdeka Square Trips
4 Views15 Days 14 Nights15 Day Trip to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Batam Island, Johor Bahru, Genting Highlands from ManilaBy: Toursy Travel And LeisureCity: Singapore, Batam Island, Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Genting Highlands
1 View16 Days 15 Nights16 Day Trip to Kuala Lumpur, Penang Hill, Genting Highlands from JeddahBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Kuala Lumpur, Penang Hill, Genting Highlands
Merdeka Square, Kuala Lumpur Reviews
Nicely maintained heritage place. I loved the fountain show but it was small one but it's good place for photos. All the shipping markets are nearby so you can spend your time for shopping and roaming also. Good restaurant you get in nearby area. I like china market and little India also. Please do visit central market for all types of souvenir also. Use free bus service.
A big open space to relax. Evenings are better to walk around and play in the park. There is a museum next to it. The flag point in interesting to watch. There are various other sculpture and architectural buildings nearby. There are lot of tourists visiting this place in the evening. Hop on hop off buses also ply to this place.
Surely, I love this zero point of my hometown "Medan". The view in the night is really awesome. Its suitable for the tourist to do chit chat and enjoying with friends
Nice place. But beware - it can get very hot due to all the marble. Use sunscreen in abundance and maybe an umbrella to protect yourself.
If you're nearby, you should definitely visit this place but it's better to see it at night because it's cooler and the River of Life nearby is also fantastic at night. The square itself is not impressive apart from the gigantic flagpole but you will get to see some old buildings opposite that are really pretty and it is nearby to many other attractions.