Events and Festivals in Kyoto, Japan
Events and Festivals in Kyoto
- Aoi Festival: This festival usually takes place in the month of May. It is also known as the Kamo festival and is held at the Kamigamo and Shimogamo Shrines. The origin of the festival dates back to approximately 1400 years. A horse is made to run with bells attached to it, in the hopes of abundant harvests.
- Jidai Festival: This one takes place in October. In the morning, a shrine procession travels from the Heian Shrine to the Kyoto Imperial Palace. At noon, processions representing each era parade through the city and return to the Heian Shrine. A must see phenomenon while in Kyoto.
- Gion Festival: The Gion Matsuri festival is referred to as one of Japan's biggest three festivals. Celebrated in July, ornate, portable shrines and floats called mikoshi are paraded down the streets of Kyoto. Children adorned in traditional make up and musicians playing various instruments sit atop these floats and entertain the audience.
- Gozan Fire Festival: The Gozan Okuribi is a well-known and loved summer event in Kyoto. Five large bonfires are lit on the slopes of five mountains which surround Kyoto city. A spiritual festival, it is celebrated to pray for peace upon ancestors’ souls.
Trip plans for Kyoto
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Kyoto
Kyoto Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Kyoto
Kyoto Morning Tour: Kyoto Imperial Palace, Golden Pavilion, Nijo Castle 191 Reviews
Duration: 4 Hrs 30 Mins
Soak up temple and palace sights on this half-day guided city tour, great for those who want to see Kyotos top attractions in...Book Now
Kyoto Insider Sake Experience New on TripHobo
Duration: 3 Hrs
If you love sake but don't know what to select or want to know more about sake, join us and let's deep dive into the world of...Book Now
Kyoto Samurai Show Sword Fighting New on TripHobo
Duration: 2 Hrs
Your trip to Japan cannot be complete without watching a samurai sword show in Kyoto. Many call this breath-taking ...Book Now
Save 7%KYOTO: THE MAGIC AFTER DARK
Duration: 4 Hrs
Kyoto transforms into its most magical as dusk falls - so with a Local Host to navigate, explore the tiny back alleys of the ...
- Events & Festivals in Nara
- Events & Festivals in Osaka
- Events & Festivals in Kobe
- Events & Festivals in Maibara
- Events & Festivals in Himeji
- Events & Festivals in Nagoya-shi
- Events & Festivals in Takayama
- Events & Festivals in Kanazawa-shi
- Events & Festivals in Matsumoto
- Events & Festivals in Tokyo
- Events & Festivals in Hiroshima
- Events & Festivals in Narita
- Events & Festivals in Nikko
- Events & Festivals in Hakone
- Events & Festivals in Sapporo-shi