Events and Festivals in Kyoto
- Aoi Festival: This festival usually takes place in the month of May. It is also known as the Kamo festival and is held at the Kamigamo and Shimogamo Shrines. The origin of the festival dates back to approximately 1400 years. A horse is made to run with bells attached to it, in the hopes of abundant harvests.
- Jidai Festival: This one takes place in October. In the morning, a shrine procession travels from the Heian Shrine to the Kyoto Imperial Palace. At noon, processions representing each era parade through the city and return to the Heian Shrine. A must see phenomenon while in Kyoto.
- Gion Festival: The Gion Matsuri festival is referred to as one of Japan's biggest three festivals. Celebrated in July, ornate, portable shrines and floats called mikoshi are paraded down the streets of Kyoto. Children adorned in traditional make up and musicians playing various instruments sit atop these floats and entertain the audience.
- Gozan Fire Festival: The Gozan Okuribi is a well-known and loved summer event in Kyoto. Five large bonfires are lit on the slopes of five mountains which surround Kyoto city. A spiritual festival, it is celebrated to pray for peace upon ancestors’ souls.
Trip plans for Kyoto
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Kyoto
Kyoto Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Kyoto
Kyoto Morning Tour: Kyoto Imperial Palace, Golden Pavilion, Nijo Castle192 Reviews
Duration: 4 Hrs 30 Mins
Soak up temple and palace sights on this half-day guided city tour, great for those who want to see Kyotos top attractions in...Book Now
Kyoto and Nara Day Trip from Kyoto including Nijo Castle371 Reviews
Duration: 10 Hrs
Explore the cultural treasures of Kyoto and Nara on this full-day tour from Kyoto. In the morning, visit UNESCO World Heritag...Book Now
Nara Afternoon Tour of Todaiji Temple, Deer Park and Kasuga Shrine from Kyoto171 Reviews
Duration: 5 Hrs 30 Mins
Venture to Nara from Kyoto for the afternoon. Due to its past as the first permanent capital of Japan, Nara remains full of h...Book Now
Save 7%Half Day Small-Group Kyoto Cultural Tour289 Reviews
Duration: 3 Hrs 30 Mins
Savor the beauty and charm of Kyoto on this cultural walking tour. An ancient yet elegant city, Kyoto showcases all that is r...
- Events & Festivals in Nakagyo Ward
- Events & Festivals in Minami Ward
- Events & Festivals in Kamigyo Ward
- Events & Festivals in Shimogyo Ward
- Events & Festivals in Ukyo Ward
- Events & Festivals in Yamashina Ward