Kinkaku-ji9294 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1 Kinkakujicho, Kita Ward, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 603-8361, Japan
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-754610013
- Ticket Price: 400 JPY
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids, Architecture
Kinkaku-ji (aka Temple of Golden Pavilion) is a Zen temple situated in the northern part of Kyoto. The top two floors of the temple are completely covered in gold leaf. Formally known as Rokuonji, the building the temple is housed in was the retirement villa of the shogun (military leader) Ashikaga Yoshimitsu. As per his will, the villa was converted into a Zen temple of the Rinzai sect after his death in the year 1408. Kinkaku-ji is an architecturally stunning and impressive structure which overlooks a pond. Having a turbulent history, the temple complex has burned down numerous times throughout history including twice during the Onin War. In the year 1950, the temple was set on fire by a fanatic monk! The present structure was rebuilt in 1955. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Kyoto itinerary 7 days.
Kinkaku-ji Travel Tips
- It is an active place of worship. Please maintain the tranquillity of the place.
- Don’t forget to remove your footwear before entering the premises.
- It is recommended to wear conservative clothing.
Entrance Ticket Details For Kinkaku-ji
- Adults- ¥400, Students (upto junior high school)- ¥300.
How to Reach Kinkaku-ji
- Bus stop Hontsuji Dori
- Bus stop Kagamiishi Dori
- Oshokujidokoro kinkaku
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kyoto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kyoto and book an accommodation of your choice.
78.67% of people who visit Kyoto include Kinkaku-ji in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
64.77% of people start their Kinkaku-ji visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Kinkaku-ji
91.48% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kinkaku-ji