National Museum Of Modern ArtCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
Established in 1963, the National Museum of Modern Art, aka MOMAK, exhibits selected works of nihonga (Japanese-style painting), yoga (Western-style painting), prints, sculpture, crafts (ceramics, textiles, metalworks, wood and bamboo works, lacquers and jewelry) and photographs. Like the beautiful exhibits, the museum building is also a work of art. Its premises were designed by Pritzker Prize-winning Japanese architect Fumihiko Maki. Each year, MOMAK presents approximately seven touring or standalone exhibitions in addition to around 20 exhibitions from the museum’s extensive collection.
- The price of admission for special and travelling exhibitions differ between each exhibition.
- Adults: ¥430, University students: ¥130
- Free entry for children under eighteen years and Seniors sixty five years and above.
- Also free entry for people with special needs.
- Group discounts applicable for groups of 20 people or more.
- Last admission at 4.30 pm.
- Frequently, the museum has extended hours every Friday during special and travelling exhibitions until 9pm with last admission at 8.30pm.
- Kyoto Kaikan Bijutsukan-mae bus stop
- Higashiyama subway Station
- Cafe within the museum premises.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Kyoto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kyoto and book an accommodation of your choice.
8.61% of people who visit Kyoto include National Museum Of Modern Art in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
54.17% of people start their National Museum Of Modern Art visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see National Museum Of Modern Art
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting National Museum Of Modern Art
Some nice works. The Duchamp and Ernst are worth seeing. There is too much third rate Japanese art though. The shop isn very quirky.
Great art. None of the signs are in English and you get in trouble for translating them.
No photos can be taken. Really liked the Picasso.
Liken da pretty hang out with nice little ladies. Sushi make me smile.
They have great masterpieces of contemprorary artist. If you interested in modern art it worth to visit