Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple72 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 2-5 Sagatoriimoto Fukatanicho, Ukyo Ward, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 616-8439, Japan
- Timings: 08:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-758651231
- Ticket Price: 300 JPY
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Statue, Family And Kids, Sculpture
Dating back to the 8th century, the Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple was founded by Empress Shotoku. A quaint looking temple, a unique feature about it are the 1200 plus stone statues of the disciples of Gautama Buddha. All the Rakan (stone sculptures) have funny expressions and were sculpted by mostly armatures under the guidance of Kocho Nishimura. It was in the year 1981 that these now moss covered sculptures were donated to the temple during its refurbishment.
Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple Travel Tips
- It is an active place of worship. Please maintain the tranquillity of the place.
- Don’t forget to remove your footwear before entering the premises.
- It is recommended to wear conservative clothing.
Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple Hours
- Last entry at 4:45 pm.
How to Reach Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple
- Saga-Arashiyama Station.
- Keifuku Arashiyama Station.
- Hankyu Arashiyama Station.
- Arashiyama bus stop.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kyoto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kyoto and book an accommodation of your choice.
0.61% of people who visit Kyoto include Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
80% of people start their Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple