Sanzen-in182 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 540 Ohararaikoincho, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 601-1242, Japan
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +81-757442531
- Ticket Price: 700 JPY
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Situated in the quaint town of Ohara which is around an hour’s drive from Kyoto, the Sanzen-in Temple is worth the trip. Founded by monk Saicho who, back in the year 804, introduced Tendai Buddhism to Japan, the temple is a monzeki temple and has an extremely tranquil atmosphere. Within the temple premises, you will be visiting marvellous buildings such as the Kyakuden (guest hall) and the Shinden (main hall). A highlight of the temple is its garden which is peppered with cute statues peeking out of the moss covered ground.
Sanzen-in Travel Tips
- It is an active place of worship. Please maintain the tranquillity of the place.
- Don’t forget to remove your footwear before entering the premises.
- It is recommended to wear conservative clothing.
- Admission closes 30 minutes before closing time.
How to Reach Sanzen-in
- Ohara bus stop
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kyoto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kyoto and book an accommodation of your choice.
1.36% of people who visit Kyoto include Sanzen-in in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
42.86% of people start their Sanzen-in visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Sanzen-in
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sanzen-in