Are you looking for what to do in Kyoto?
WHAT TO SEE
Things to do in Kyoto are aplenty. A few things to see in Kyoto are:
- Kiyomizu-dera: Established in the year 778, the Kiyomizu-dera is a temple located halfway up the Otowa Mountain in eastern Kyoko.
- Kinkaku-ji: Kinkaku-ji (aka Temple of Golden Pavilion) is a Zen temple situated in the northern part of Kyoto. The top two floors of the temple are completely covered in gold leaf.
- Arashiyama: Situated around 30 minutes drive from the city centre of Kyoto, Arashiyama is a district in Kyoto which is well known for its Bamboo Grove.
- Fushimi Inari-taisha: The Fushimi Inari-Taisha is an important Shinto shrine situated in Kyoto.
- Philosopher’s Walk: The Philosopher's Walk is a stone path approximately 2 kilometres long, which is Kyoto’s most popular hanami (cherry blossom viewing) spot.
Kyoto sightseeing spots also include Nijo Castle, Ginkaku-ji, Ryoan-ji, Nanzen-ji, Tenryu-ji, Sanjusangen-do and the Katsura Imperial Villa.
WHERE TO BE
Pubs and Nightlife
- Ace Cafe: Design bar centred around a retrofitting straight out of the 1960s, with a trendy crowd and calm ambiance. Located in Nakagyo.
- Ishimaru Shoten: Popular Japanese-style bar that brings traditional tastes to new mouths. Located along Roji Alley.
- Club World: DJs from all over the globe come to play in the cave-like setting this club provides. Located in Kiyamachi.
Visitors will be happy to know that the best shopping in Kyoto is conveniently centralized.
- Shijo Street: This street is one of the main shopping avenues in the city. Along it, visitors will find the large department stores Takashimaya and Marui. Louis Vuitton and other world class boutiques are also found here.
- Teramachi and Shin Kyogoku: Near Shijo Street, these covered arcades provide dry, clean shopping through market-like stalls that display anything from clothes to food stuffs.
- Nishiki Market: Tight alleyway packed with food stalls. Also located near Shijo.
- Flea Markets: One market is the 21st, at Toki Temple, while the other is the 25thof each month at the Kitano Tenmangu Shrine.
Below we have a list of things to do in Kyoto and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Kyoto getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Kyoto with confidence.