Toji Temple4127 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1 Kujocho, Minami Ward, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 601-8473, Japan Map
- Timings: 08:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-756913325
- Ticket Price: 500 JPY
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Situated in the city center of Kyoto, Toji is a Buddhist temple of the Shingon sect. It is well known for its five-story pagoda, the highest wooden tower in Japan. The Toji was established by imperial edict in 796 AD and was built to guard the city. UNESCO designated Toji a World Heritage Site in 1994. Trivia- A popular antiques market is held at Toji on the 21st of every month and on the first Sunday of every month.
Toji Temple Travel Tips
- It is an active place of worship. Please maintain the tranquillity of the place.
- Don’t forget to remove your footwear before entering the premises.
- It is recommended to wear conservative clothing.
Entrance Ticket Details For Toji Temple
- Adults- ¥500, High school students- ¥400.
- Junior high and elementary school students- ¥300.
- Rates mentioned are for general admission. For entry into Pagoda and other structures, additional charges apply. Please check official website for the rates.
How to Reach Toji Temple
- Kintetsu Line Toji Station
- JR Kyoto Station Hachijo-Exit
- Bus stops: Toji Minamimon-mae, Toji Higashimon-mae, Kujo Omiya and Toji Nishimon-mae bus stops.
- Komatsu-ka noodle shop
- Ho kuto restaurant
- Ho no ka hokahokapan no mise bakery and cake shop
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Kyoto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Kyoto and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Toji Temple Address: 1 Kujocho, Minami Ward, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 601-8473, Japan
- Toji Temple Contact Number: +81-756913325
- Toji Temple Timing: 08:30 am - 05:00 pm
- Toji Temple Price: 500 JPY
- Best time to visit Toji Temple(preferred time): 08:30 am - 03:00 pm
- Time required to visit Toji Temple: 01:30 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
32.65% of people who visit Kyoto include Toji Temple in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
50% of people start their Toji Temple visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Toji Temple
92.88% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Toji Temple
People normally club together Tofukuji Temple and Kyoto Imperial Palace while planning their visit to Toji Temple.