La Fortuna Waterfall, La Fortuna
About La Fortuna Waterfall, La Fortuna
La Fortuna Waterfall, La Fortuna - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: La Fortuna Waterfall, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
Ticket Price: 10 USD
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 02:00 pm Details
Added 8.8K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Waterfall, Walking Area, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The La Fortuna waterfall is one of the most scenic locations around the city of La Fortuna de San Carlos. Situated about 5.5 km away from the town, it is a blissful getaway located at the base of the dormant and majestic Chato Volcano. Fed by the Tenorio River, the waterfall meanders through the dense greenery to plunge 200 feet into a glistening emerald pool below.
Don’t forget to bring along your swim suits, because the chilly water beneath the falls provides for quite an experience. You can go down the river as well, as the rocks aren’t sharp and makes for a great swim. It is said that taking a bad picture at the La Fortuna Waterfall is nearly impossible, and you’ll have yourself believing that too, when you take a look around. Photography enthusiasts will be in for a treat, because a short walk around the waterfall will provide them with various opportunities to capture numerous flora and fauna.
Just like La Fortuna Waterfall, most of the locations in Costa Rica are heavily protected to preserve their natural beauty. Thankfully, the money that you pay to get into these locations are very well spent on the preservation. Visitors will appreciate and respect the La Fortuna Waterfall for what it is, a view of nature at its finest.
La Fortuna Waterfall Information
- The roads in Costa Rica are extremely windy and often in poor condition. Because of this, daytime driving is generally much easier
- The hike down to the waterfall is a short, but arduous one. It should take 10 minutes to go down and about 20 to get back up to the parking lot.
- Those with difficulty in hiking down to the waterfall can go there on horseback, which takes roughly an hour.
- Make a day out of your La Fortuna Waterfall visit by checking out the Rio Celeste and Tenorio Volcano hike, situated very close to the waterfalls.
- Although there are several eateries nearby, carrying a basket along for a unique waterfall picnic would be a great idea!
- If you’re going swimming, watch out for currents which might carry you too far down the river.
- September is the off season, which is a good time to visit the waterfall if you’re looking to avoid large crowds.
How To reach La Fortuna Waterfall by Public Transport
- From San José, there are two ways to get to Arenal. The shortest runs through San Ramon and takes around three and a half hours. The other route is a more cultural drive—you’ll pass through quaint villages, including Sarchí, the country’s handicraft capital. This route takes about four hours.
Restaurants Near La Fortuna Waterfall
- Lava Lounge
- Burger King
- Restaurante Loma Linda
- Hotel Kokoro
- Tree House
- Pizzeria Johnny
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in La Fortuna before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in La Fortuna and book an accommodation of your choice.
La Fortuna Waterfall, La Fortuna Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Sky Trek
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat
- Cerro Chato Ecolodge
- Cafetería Mycoffee
- The Springs Resort & Spa At Arenal
- Loma Real Hotel & Hot Springs
- Baldi Hot Springs Resort Hotel & Spa
- Arenal 1968 Volcano View And Lava Trails
- La Fortuna Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in La Fortuna
- What to See in 48 Hours in La Fortuna
- What to See in 72 Hours in La Fortuna
- How to Spend 5 Days in La Fortuna
- How to Spend 6 Days in La Fortuna
- How to Spend 7 Days in La Fortuna