Located on the gorgeous seafront of Algarve in Southern Portugal, Lagos is a beautiful city and an important one from the tourism point of view. The life of this coastal town is generally busy. From long sandy beaches to significant historical places, Lagos is always on the bucket list of people traveling to Portugal. The towns of Lagos take one on a journey to the ancient Portugal. With a proximity of Bensafrim River and the Atlantic Ocean, the town of Lagos is home to many spectacular beaches. The sandy cove of Praia do Camilo and beautiful cliffs that surround the towns coastal area make it a favorite destination to many.
There are many historical buildings in Lagos. Some of the landmarks include Santo Antonio church, Mercado dos Escravos (Europe’s first slave market) and the charming 17th century Bandeira Fort. The traditional Portuguese houses (you can opt to stay in one), the cobbled streets offering a walking tour of this stunning city, and the views of turquoise sea water of Lagos make many travel enthusiasts flock here all year round. In addition to the beautiful landscape, Lagos has an interesting nightlife. There are many bars such as Joe's Garage, Bon Vivant, Shaker Bar, The Box Bar, and Bar Quim and plenty of nightclubs. Whether you want to grab a beer or sip some wine or cocktail, these bars welcome you with their cool ambiance. The seductive natural beauty, wonderful historical architecture, and a laid-back vibe, the town of Lagos is, indeed, a great place to be at.
Essential travel information and Lagos tips for your visit
- Time Zone - WET/GMT UTC (Azores UTC-1)
- Currency - MEuro
- Electricity - The power sockets are of type F. The standard voltage is 230 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz.
- Internet - Fibre Optic, ADSL broadband, cable and wireless Internet brands
- Languages - Portuguese, English
- Tipping - It is customary to tip an additional 10 % of the service.
- Security- National Emergency Number: 112; Lagos Hospital: 282 763 034; Train station: Tel. 282 762 987; Bus station: Tel. 282 762 944; Fire: 117
Lagos Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Lagos. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Lagos trip planner.