Antigo Mercado De Escravos8 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Praca Infante Dom Henrique, Lagos 8600-525, Portugal Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +351-282762301
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids
The Antigo Mercado de Escravos is an Old Customs building that has shaped one of the most trying times in human history. The place was used to sell slaves brought from Africa and was part of the kingdom under the rule of King Henry the navigator. The square itself looks quiet a calm spot to take leisurely walks at when in Lagos but its relevance, especially during the 15th century, is hard to ignore.
The building itself dates back to the 14th century and is considered to be the first Slave market in Europe! Today, the building is preserved as a monument of Public interest owing to its infamous but significant historic stories, its aesthetic value and its Romanesque architecture and design. From the arched doorways, the old windows to the museum inside with the collection of historic photos and maps, a visit here gives you a peek into the times when slavery was prevalent.
How to Reach Antigo Mercado De Escravos
- By Taxi
- By Renting a Bike.
- By Walking
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Lagos before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lagos and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Antigo Mercado De Escravos Address: Praca Infante Dom Henrique, Lagos 8600-525, Portugal
- Antigo Mercado De Escravos Contact Number: +351-282762301
- Antigo Mercado De Escravos Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Antigo Mercado De Escravos(preferred time): 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Time required to visit Antigo Mercado De Escravos: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!