Museu Municipal Dr Jose Formosinho10 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Rua General Alberto da Silveira, Lagos 8600-594, Portugal Map
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +351-282762301
- Ticket Price: 3 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
The Museu Municipal Dr. Jose Formosinho dates back to 1934 and has some of the best archaeological, ethnographic, Sacred art, paintings, numismatics and art pieces from Roman, Portuguese, Arab, Neolithic, and Luso-Iberian period. The vast collection takes your through the history of Lagos since the 15th century.
The museum includes the Church of Santo António (dating back to the 18th century and known for its Baroque architecture) within its premises and deals with preserving, maintaining and researching the history of Eastern Algarve. The Renaissance portal at the entrance which was used to support the modern gate welcomes you into the museum and the vast collection offers a whole different world within its premises.
The highlight of the place is the mineralogy collection, pottery section, coin exhibit, tombstones, scaled model of the Algarve region, miniature ships and oil paintings of some of the prominent personalities of Lagos.
Entrance Ticket Details For Museu Municipal Dr Jose Formosinho
Admission fee for permanent exhibition:
- Euros 3.00 - general public
- Euros 1.50 - teachers, students, retired and young (13-26 years), tour groups accompanied by Guide Interpreter.
- Free admission - teachers and students or IPSS groups on previously scheduled study visits; municipality of Lagos; municipal officials; Members or Representatives of APOM, ICOM, ICOMOS, IGESPAR, IMC, RPM, RMA and Journalists when on previously scheduled visits; Children up to and including 12 years old.
- Free entry days for any visitor: April 18 - International Day of Monuments and Sites; May 18 - International Museum Day; August 23 - Anniversary day of the creation of the Museum; September 27 - World Tourism Day; October 27th - City Day; days of the "European Heritage Days".
Museu Municipal Dr Jose Formosinho Hours
- The ticket office closes at 5:30 pm
- Closed on Easter Sunday.
How to Reach Museu Municipal Dr Jose Formosinho
- By Taxi
- By Renting a Bike.
- By Walking
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Lagos before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lagos and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Museu Municipal Dr Jose Formosinho Address: Rua General Alberto da Silveira, Lagos 8600-594, Portugal
- Museu Municipal Dr Jose Formosinho Contact Number: +351-282762301
- Museu Municipal Dr Jose Formosinho Timing: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Museu Municipal Dr Jose Formosinho Price: 3 EUR
- Best time to visit Museu Municipal Dr Jose Formosinho(preferred time): 02:00 pm - 05:00 pm
- Time required to visit Museu Municipal Dr Jose Formosinho: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!