Hoover DamCurrently Open
The Hoover Dam, once known as Boulder Dam, is a solid curved dam operating across the Grand Canyon of the Colorado River, right on the border of Arizona and Sierra Nevada. It was constructed and developed between 1931 and 1936 throughout and was inaugurated on September 30, 1935 by the President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Many laborers toiled to erect the dam, and over a hundred died in its construction. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Las Vegas itinerary 5 days.
Hoover Dam Travel Tips
- No children under age 8 permitted.
- The Power Plant Tour has no age, height or weight restrictions.
- No disability access.
- The Dam is 35 miles south of Las Vegas on U.S.93.
- The busiest season at Hoover Dam is in the summer from Memorial Day until Labor Day.
- The slowest months for visitation are January and February. The least crowded time of day for tours is from opening until 10:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. until closing.
- Traffic around the dam during holidays and weekends can be extremely heavy with long delays on the roadways to the site.
- To enjoy the site entirely, we recommend visitors arrive by 2:00 p.m. as pedestrians are prohibited from the top of the dam during hours of darkness.
- Due to periodic elevator malfunctions or unscheduled maintenance issues, Hoover Dam tours may not always be available. Visitor Center admissions are available at all times.
- Hoover Dam is located in a desert climate. It is extremely hot in the summer. During summer months it is recommended that you wear light clothing and a hat, use sunscreen and sun glasses, and carry water bottles on the tour.
Entrance Ticket Details For Hoover Dam
- Adults (Ages 17-61): $15.00
- Seniors (62+): $12.00
- Juniors (ages 4-16): $12.00
- U.S. Military: $12.00
- U.S. Military (in Uniform): Free
- Children (Ages 0-3): Free
HOOVER DAM TOURS
- Adults, Seniors, Juniors & U.S. Military: $30.00
Visitor Center Admission: This option allows entry into the Visitor Center WITHOUT access to the tours of the dam or powerplant.
- Adults, Seniors, Juniors & U.S. Military: $10.00
- Children ages 3 and under: Free
Parking fee: $10.00
Hoover Dam Hours
- Tickets sold until 4:15 pm.
- First Powerplant Tour departs at 9:25 a.m.
- Last Powerplant Tour departs at 3:55 p.m.
- First Dam Tour departs at 9:30 a.m.
- Last Dam Tour departs at 3:30 p.m.
- Dam Tours (limited to 20 people per tour) may sell-out a couple hours in advance of the last tour.
- Tickets sold from 3:45-4:15 p.m. are for Visitor Center Admission only.
- The Hoover Dam Visitor Center is open every day of the year except for Thanksgiving and Christmas days.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Las Vegas before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Las Vegas and book an accommodation of your choice.
22.09% of people who visit Las Vegas include Hoover Dam in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
37.93% of people start their Hoover Dam visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Hoover Dam
84.21% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Hoover Dam