Launceston is the second largest city in Tasmania, Australia and dates back to the year of 1805. Launceston is Australia’s one of the oldest cities and has managed to keep the Tasmanian culture intact. Moreover, the city is home to many historic building, the walls of which have some stories to tell! Named after the places in United Kingdom, Launceston is also the twelfth largest city in Australia. Known to be the only inland city in Tasmania, Launceston is a commercial and tourism hub of the island state.
There are many attractions in Launceston which make it worth visiting. Launceston City Park, Tamar Valley, Cataract Gorge are some of the most popular places in Launceston which will help you to embrace the nature. Other major attractions also include Boag's brewery, Launceston Ghost Tour and Design Centre Tasmania.
The best time to visit Launceston is in the summer and spring season, hence it is advisable to visit the city so that you can enjoy the incredible outdoor attractions.
The city has pubs which are decorated in a style heavily inspired from UK. The food scene of Launceston is also very popular. Being an inland city, Launceston is known for it’s delicious sea food. The city celebrates various events and festivals throughout the year and the most popular festivals are Chilli Skyfire, Fiesta on George and Furneaux Islands Festival.
Essential travel information and Launceston tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Australian Eastern Time Zone: UTC+10:00
- Currency: AUD(Australian Dollar)
- Electricity: Average voltage is 230V 50Hz. No need of a voltage convertor.
- Internet: Free Wifi connection can be found in majority of hotels and public places.
- Language: Predominant language spoken in Launceston is English.
- Emergency numbers: 000- Primary Emergency Number, +61 3 6777 6777 - Launceston General Hospital
- Tipping is not mandatory in Australia. It is not expected from you to tip in upper tier hotels but in small cafes and restaurants, you can do it!
- In Launceston, one can find wide variety of races, religions, cultures and sexual preferences are prevalent in the city. Hence, there’s no way that anyone can feel uncomfortable.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Launceston
Save 7%Cradle Mountain National Park Day Tour from Launceston
9 Hrs58 Reviews
Save 7%Cradle Mountain Active Day Trip from Launceston
11 Hrs14 Reviews
Save 7%Josef Chromy Wines Winery Tour Including Tasting and Lunch
2 Hrs 30 Mins5 Reviews
Save 7%Bay of Fires Day Trip from Launceston
9 Hrs 9 Mins20 Reviews