How to Reach Lausanne
- By Air: Lausanne doesn’t have an airstrip to call its own, but you could land in Geneva and take a train to Lausanne. An alternative could be landing in Zurich and taking a trans-Atlantic to Lausanne.
- By Train: Swiss trains enjoy an unblemished reputation and the trains to Lausanne are no exception. Trains from Geneva run regularly to Lausanne, every half an hour till 1:30 am. The Lausanne train station also receives trains from Zurich, Berne and overseas destinations like Paris, Milan and Venice.
- By Boat: Boats from both the Swiss and French shores stop at Lake Geneva, with many-a-halts along many lake shore towns. If you decide to arrive by boat, ensure you have the visas for the necessary countries you’ll be passing through.
- By Bus: There are several international bus services that run from Spain, France and many other Central European cities.
- By Bus/Metro:There are two metro lines that run all through Lausanne and local bus lines that cover the city. You can buy tickets at any station through an automated machine. Remember to validate your tickets.
- By Taxi: If you’re visiting Lausanne for the first time, the layout of the city could get a little complicated. So if you experience any difficulty in getting around, you could always hire a taxi. If you’re traveling on a budget though, a taxi is not recommended.
- By Bike: All those looking for a way to combine sightseeing and exercise, hiring a bicycle to ride around Lausanne is quite a popular way of getting around.
- On Foot: The best way to see Lausanne is on foot. Within the vicinity of the Main Station, there are a lot of attractions within walking distance.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Lausanne. The most preferred mode of transport in Lausanne is Walking.
Average distance: 11.85 km Average time: 35.42 min
Walking 30.77%Walking 45.25 min Bus 5 min Train 4.75 min Driving 3.75 min Waiting 2 min Overall average time for 10.63 kms 60.75 min
Car 23.08%Driving 21 min Overall average time for 18 kms 21 min
Bus/Trolleybus 7.69%Bus 12 min Walking 10 min Train 7 min Waiting 7 min Overall average time for 5 kms 36 min
Bike 23.08%Bike 31 min Walking 0.67 min Overall average time for 11.83 kms 31.67 min
Train/Metro 15.38%Train 8.5 min Walking 3 min Waiting 0.25 min Overall average time for 8.5 kms 11.75 min
|Renens to Lausanne||4.94 km||4 mins|
|Lutry to Lausanne||5.91 km||5 mins|
|Savigny to Lausanne||11.14 km||11 mins|
|Vevey to Lausanne||24.05 km||24 mins|
|Saint-légier-la chiésaz to Lausanne||27.54 km||27 mins|
|Blonay to Lausanne||29.64 km||29 mins|
|Rolle to Lausanne||33.3 km||33 mins|
|Cortaillod to Lausanne||52.37 km||52 mins|
|Versoix to Lausanne||58.1 km||58 mins|
|Genthod to Lausanne||60.59 km||1 hour 58 mins|