Tours for Lausanne Cathedral
About Lausanne Cathedral, Lausanne
Switzerland’s most beautiful cathedral soars high above Lake Geneva. Consecrated in 1275, once home to the miraculous Golden Virgin, and widely considered to be one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture anywhere, the cathedral is nevertheless incomplete – restoration and construction go on to this day.
Its many striking features are a rich heritage, but once, it had many more – tapestries, the golden statue, altars, paintings, other statuary and treasures – all were stripped away by the Reformation and the Bernese army in 1536.
Today, you can still see:
- The giant Gothic rose window on the south facade.
- The flying buttresses that support the choir.
- The Montfalcon Portal that has many sculptures carved into it.
- The Great Porch – a tall arcade
- Great Bay – a vaulted alleyway
- The Gothic interior
- The painted portal
- The 13th century south rose window representing the four seasons, four elements, four winds, four rivers of paradise, and the twelve labors of the months and signs of the zodiac.
- 13th-century choir stalls
- Tomb of Otto of Grandson, a medieval knight
- The cathedral organs – the only ones of their kinds
A fun fact about the cathedral is how the night watchman still calls out the hour from 10:00 p.m – 2:00 a.m. This was an important position in the past to warn against fire or foe. You can climb the tower too, for wonderful views of Lausanne rooftops (it’s 153 steps).
Lausanne Cathedral Information
- Paid parking at Riponne.
- Get access to the belfry tower from the cathedral shop.
Lausanne Cathedral Tickets Prices
- Entry is Totaly Free
How To Get To Lausanne Cathedral by Public Transport
- Bus: No. 7 stop "Caroline"
- No. 16, stop "Pierre Viret"
- No. 1 and No. 2, stop "Rue Neuve"
- Metro: M2stop Bessière
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Lausanne before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lausanne and book an accommodation of your choice.
Address: Place de la Cathédrale, Lausanne, Switzerland
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 14.2K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Book Lausanne Cathedral Tickets And Tours
From Lausanne, you will travel by coach during 1 and a half hours and go directly to Chamonix. Enjoy the little streets full of charm of the town and admire the beautiful mountains that surround you and the majestic Mont Blanc, the highest peak in Europe !
Take the cable car to the top of Aiguille du Midi and enjoy a breathtaking view on the French, Italian and Swiss Alps and/or take the panoramic train to Montenvers in order to admire the beautiful Mer de Glace, considered as the most famous glacier in France.
Share your experience - Rate Lausanne Cathedral, Lausanne
The organ music was ethereal! Do take the stairs up to the Bell tower, amazing 360 degree view from top. It's 5 CHF to go to the top, they accept EUR but only bills not coins.
Amazing. This place is idilic. Go with your camera because you will love to remember this place forever !
I will say europe has many more wonderful Cathedrals than this one.
Let's be honest about what this structure is. It's a tourist trap with festivals, markets, and other sacrilegious money-making opportunities surrounding the cathedral. That's all fine, but let's not call it a house of worship, because it is most certainly, and irreverently not that.
Nice cathedral and you can get in and look around. From the outer place around the cathedral you have a nice view over part of the city. Close to the historical museum.
- Nearby Attractions
- Blonay-chamby Railroad
- Esplanade De Montbenon
- Chateau Saint-maire
- Theatre De Vidy
- Musee Historique De Lausanne
- Church Of St. Sulpice
- Palais De Rumine
- Abbey Church Romainmotier
- Lake Geneva Cruise
- Hotels Near Lausanne Cathedral
- Hotels Near Lausanne Cathedral
- 5 Star Hotels Near Lausanne Cathedral
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Lausanne Cathedral
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Lausanne Cathedral
- Budget Hotels Near Lausanne Cathedral
- Cheap Hotels Near Lausanne Cathedral
- Luxury Hotels Near Lausanne Cathedral
- Lausanne Day-wise Trips
- 1 Day in Lausanne
- 2 Days in Lausanne
- 3 Days in Lausanne
- 4 Days in Lausanne
- 5 Days in Lausanne
- 6 Days in Lausanne
- 7 Days in Lausanne