Lausanne Cathedral, Lausanne
Lausanne Cathedral, Lausanne - Address, Phone Number
Address: Place de la Cathédrale, Lausanne, Switzerland
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 14.3K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Lausanne Cathedral, Lausanne
Switzerland’s most beautiful cathedral soars high above Lake Geneva. Consecrated in 1275, once home to the miraculous Golden Virgin, and widely considered to be one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture anywhere, the cathedral is nevertheless incomplete – restoration and construction go on to this day.
Its many striking features are a rich heritage, but once, it had many more – tapestries, the golden statue, altars, paintings, other statuary and treasures – all were stripped away by the Reformation and the Bernese army in 1536.
Today, you can still see:
- The giant Gothic rose window on the south facade.
- The flying buttresses that support the choir.
- The Montfalcon Portal that has many sculptures carved into it.
- The Great Porch – a tall arcade
- Great Bay – a vaulted alleyway
- The Gothic interior
- The painted portal
- The 13th century south rose window representing the four seasons, four elements, four winds, four rivers of paradise, and the twelve labors of the months and signs of the zodiac.
- 13th-century choir stalls
- Tomb of Otto of Grandson, a medieval knight
- The cathedral organs – the only ones of their kinds
A fun fact about the cathedral is how the night watchman still calls out the hour from 10:00 p.m – 2:00 a.m. This was an important position in the past to warn against fire or foe. You can climb the tower too, for wonderful views of Lausanne rooftops (it’s 153 steps).
Lausanne Cathedral Information
- Paid parking at Riponne.
- Get access to the belfry tower from the cathedral shop.
Lausanne Cathedral Ticket Prices
- Entry is Totaly Free
How To reach Lausanne Cathedral by Public Transport
- Bus: No. 7 stop "Caroline"
- No. 16, stop "Pierre Viret"
- No. 1 and No. 2, stop "Rue Neuve"
- Metro: M2stop Bessière
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Lausanne before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lausanne and book an accommodation of your choice.
Lausanne Cathedral, Lausanne Reviews - Write a Review
Great place, serenity is the best word to describe it. In addition it comes with a great view of downtown.
Beautiful cathedral inside and outside. A must go if you are in Lausanne.
Looks nice from inside and outside. Make sure you grab a camera.
Amazing. This place is idilic. Go with your camera because you will love to remember this place forever !
The organ music was ethereal! Do take the stairs up to the Bell tower, amazing 360 degree view from top. It's 5 CHF to go to the top, they accept EUR but only bills not coins.