Hemis MonasteryCurrently Closed
- Address: Hemis Gompa, Tikse, Leh, India
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-1982252297
- Ticket Price: 100 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Monastery , Festival
Hemis Monastery - Review
This affluent monastery, the largest in Ladakh, has been around for almost a thousand years, and is only an hour away from Leh by road. It would at times fall into disuse, but King Sengge Namgyain restored it completely in the seventeenth century. The Bropka sects, who are thought to be some of the purest descendants of the original Indo-European stock, manage it. The monastery is particularly famous for it’s annual two day Hemis Festival, celebrated in the honor of the Padmasambhav, or the “Second Buddha”.
During the festival, traditional songs and music are played using the pan drums, large regional trumpets and cymbals, and to this music, a highly esoteric “dance of masks” is performed. The monastery is also infamous; it’s suspected that this was a place Christ visited during his missing years, and there is much speculation that scrolls related to Christ, written in commemoration after the crucifixion, are kept here in secrecy.
Hemis Monastery Information
- Statue of Lord Padmasambhava, the mural paintings of the interior of the monastery, the designed and patterned courtyard of the Hemis Monastery, the century old artefacts.
- Photography is allowed in the monastery; not allowed in the museum.
- Locker facilities will be made available for camera deposit.
- Turn right while coming from Leh, at Karu Village, right after the power generation station.
- Toilets are to the right of the monastery gates.
- It get’s significantly more crowded during the festival.
- A common way of checking out the monastery is on a two-day trip to Pangong Tso. The monastery can be visited on the return trip.
How To reach Hemis Monastery by Public Transport
- By Car
Restaurants Near Hemis Monastery
- Hotel Chube Leh
- The New Moon Guest House
- Hotel Antelope
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Leh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Leh and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Hemis Monastery
95% of people who visit Leh include Hemis Monastery in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
56.82% of people start their Hemis Monastery visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Hemis Monastery
91.88% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Hemis Monastery