Khardung La5067 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Khardung La, 194101, Leh, India
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: View Point, Family And Kids, Nature
The Khardung La is a famous mountain pass at the junction of the valleys of the Shyok and Nubra. At a height of more than 5300 meters, the Khardung La is one of the highest pass capable of motorized transport for recreational and prioritized functions. The pass is regarded as a heritage also because of the historical caravan route connecting Leh with the province of Kashgar of the Central Asia. Native businessmen have relied on it for centuries, travelling on camels and horses.
The route is used for the major transports of the native businessmen throughout the year, mainly upon camels and horses. The province of Leh is the closest to the Khardung La. It’s also logistically important to the Siachen Glacier, which lies partway up the Nubra Valley.
Khardung La Travel Tips
- Beware of rock fall, landslide, and washouts.
- Traffic is only allowed to move in one direction at a time. From 9:00am to 1:00pm it moves from Leh to Khardung La. From 1:00pm to 5:00pm it moves from Nubra to Khardung La to Leh.
- A bus service from Leh passes over Khardung La everyday, but ideally the pass should be accessed by bike.
- Have Maggi at North Pullu.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and smoking. You need all the metabolic energy and oxygen you can get.
- Avoid stopping for too long at Khardung La top. The 7000 feet difference in altitude between here (18,300 feet) and Leh (11,300 feet) will hit you hard.
- The road is generally closed up in October and reopened in May.
How to Reach Khardung La
- By car
- Yarab Tso Hote
- Silk Route Cottages
- Sand Dunes Guest House
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Leh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Leh and book an accommodation of your choice.
94.29% of people who visit Leh include Khardung La in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
38.41% of people start their Khardung La visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Khardung La
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Khardung La