Thiksey MonasteryCurrently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
- Address: Thiksey Villay, Leh Manali Highway, Thiksey, Leh, Jammu and Kashmir 194101, India
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-9320089774
- Ticket Price: 20 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Religious Site, Landmark, Family And Kids, Architecture , Monastery , Valley, Festival
Thiksey Monastery - Review
Famous for itâs architecture and location, and also as the location for the Satrangi Re music video from the critically acclaimed movie, Dil Se, the Thiksey Monastery in the Indus valley is renowned for being the largest among all of the gomphas located in the provinces of Ladakh and Leh. Managed by the Gelighpa sect, itâs extensive architecture is said to imitate the style of the Palace of Potala in Tibet.
The building consists of 12 storeys, divided into clear sections of residence, preserves and exhibits, the last of which contains such as stupas, thangkas, and statues. Besides a large collection of ancient swords and traditional paintings and artistry, a major attraction and feature of the premises of the monastery is the temple of the Maitreya Buddha. The idol of the Buddha was established in order to commemorate the welcoming of the 14th Dalai Lama in 1970. The traditional festivals held in the Monastery are the annual ritual of Gustor, held during the ninth month of the Tibetan calendar. The holy traditional dance of the Cham Dance is also a major cultural festival of the monastery.
Thiksey Monastery Information
- The traditional festivals held in the Monastery are the annual ritual of Gustor, held during the ninth month of the Tibetan calendar. The holy traditional dance of the Cham Dance is also a major cultural festival of the monastery.
Restaurants Near Thiksey Monastery
- Tenzin Dickey Tibetan
- KC Garden Cafe
- Open Hand Cafe
- Chopsticks Noodle Bar & Cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Leh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Leh and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Thiksey Monastery
95% of people who visit Leh include Thiksey Monastery in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
71.35% of people start their Thiksey Monastery visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Thiksey Monastery
91.49% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Thiksey Monastery
Thiksey Monastery Map
Thiksey Monastery Trips
The best place I loved in Leh. This monastery us like the identity of Leh. It's situated on a height but cars and bikes can go till the top. You climb a bit from there and the views on top are just excellent. Meet some of the monks there and hear about their lives. I rented a bike and rode there just 28 kms from leh. Sit on the top and enjoy the views- if you are a nature lover, you'll love it. Take about 2-3 hours of time if you want to see it fully and peacefully. Else you can just walk through.
Nice place to visit. Located at a high mountain, we get a picturesque view of surrounding blue mountains with snow cap and beautiful valley. Monastery is in typical Tibetan architecture worth to see. Big statue of Lord Buddha inside the temple is amazing. Souvenir shop near the parking area sells traditional Ladakhi items.
Leh is the best place I ever seen in my life. The natures beauty is at the top. And the beautiful buildings 👌 is amazing. Landscape are so big that your eyes keep on searching new things. And thikse monastery is one of them. The beauty of the temple is amazing and the view from there is also remarkable (the mountains and the landscape huge landscapes). Best place should visit one's in a life time.
Thikse Monastery, one of the best monasteries in India is located on top of a hill in Thikse village of Ladakh district in Jammu and Kashmir state of India. It is a twelve story complex and houses many items of Tibetan Buddhist art. The 49ft high satue of Maitreya Buddha is very attractive and marvelous. The picturesque views of surrounding mountains are fantastic.
Thiksey Monastery or Thiksay monastery is a gompa of Tibetan Buddhism religion. It is located on the top of the hill. It is very famous for its similarity with Potala Palace of Lhasa. This monastery is famous for pilgrim activities, architectural elements, sightseeing and exploration. The monastery has an interesting anecdote of how it was built in this exact location. It is said that when two Buddhist monks offered prayers and rituals at the Yellow Temple and were about to through a cake (offering to God) into the valley, a crow took away the cake and place it on a hilltop. They assumed this a divine order and built a monastery here.
All QuestionsThiksey monastery
- Chafariz Na Fragosela De Cima Em Viseu
- Fonte De Fragosela Em Viseu
- Pelourinho De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento Brasil Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Escultura Em Homenagem Ao Comendador José Nunes Martins Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca Do Outeiro Do Rato Em Carregal Do Sal
- Solar Dos Soares De Albergaria
- Casa Grande De Oliveira Do Conde Em Tondela
- Fonte De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Pelourinho De Alvarelhos Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca 1 Do Ameal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento à Independência De Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Penedo Da Víbora Em Carregal Do Sal
- Inscrições De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca De Santo Tisco Em Carregal Do Sal