Thiksey Monastery7028 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Thiksey Villay, Leh Manali Highway, Thiksey, Leh, Jammu and Kashmir 194101, India
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-9320089774
- Ticket Price: 20 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Religious Site, Landmark, Family And Kids, Architecture , Monastery , Valley, Festival
Famous for itâs architecture and location, and also as the location for the Satrangi Re music video from the critically acclaimed movie, Dil Se, the Thiksey Monastery in the Indus valley is renowned for being the largest among all of the gomphas located in the provinces of Ladakh and Leh. Managed by the Gelighpa sect, itâs extensive architecture is said to imitate the style of the Palace of Potala in Tibet.
The building consists of 12 storeys, divided into clear sections of residence, preserves and exhibits, the last of which contains such as stupas, thangkas, and statues. Besides a large collection of ancient swords and traditional paintings and artistry, a major attraction and feature of the premises of the monastery is the temple of the Maitreya Buddha. The idol of the Buddha was established in order to commemorate the welcoming of the 14th Dalai Lama in 1970. The traditional festivals held in the Monastery are the annual ritual of Gustor, held during the ninth month of the Tibetan calendar. The holy traditional dance of the Cham Dance is also a major cultural festival of the monastery.
Thiksey Monastery Travel Tips
- The traditional festivals held in the Monastery are the annual ritual of Gustor, held during the ninth month of the Tibetan calendar. The holy traditional dance of the Cham Dance is also a major cultural festival of the monastery.
- Tenzin Dickey Tibetan
- KC Garden Cafe
- Open Hand Cafe
- Chopsticks Noodle Bar & Cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Leh before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Leh and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Leh include Thiksey Monastery in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
68.55% of people start their Thiksey Monastery visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Thiksey Monastery
91.48% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Thiksey Monastery