About Leipzig Zoo, Leipzig
Founded in 1878, Leipzig zoo is said to be one of the oldest zoo in the world. It was founded by Ernst Pinkert, who was eager to transform his restaurant “the Pfaffendorfer Hof” into a zoological garden. Legend says, nearly 4500 visitors came to see the opening of the zoo. Today, the zoo covers nearly 225,000 square meter land housing nearly 850 animals that include mammals, bird, reptile, amphibian and fish species. The entire zoo is divided into 6 themes like Asia, Africa, South America, rainforest of Gondwanaland, apes of Pongoland and the historical Founder’s Garden.
The list doesn’t end here. The zoo also caters as a perfect destination for many personal events.
Come and take a tour into the wild world of Leipzig.
Leipzig Zoo Information
- Every First Monday from 21st March to 31st October, you will be admitted to the zoo at the discounted winter prices (except public holidays).
Leipzig Zoo Tickets Prices
Summer prices (21st March – 31st October)
- Adults -16 €
- Concessions (for for disabled people, pupils, students, apprentice) - 15€
- Children (4 -14 years) - 11€
- Family (parents or grandparents – upto 2 adults and their children or grandchildren) - 47€
- Groups of 10 children or more (1 free adult with every 10 paying children) - 9€
Winter prices (1st November – 3rd March)
- Adults - 16€
- Concessions (for for disabled people, pupils, students, apprentice) - 13€
- Children (4 -14 years) - 9€
- Family (parents or grandparents – upto 2 adults and their children or grandchildren) - 40€
- Groups of 10 children or more (1 free adult with every 10 paying children) - 7€
- Adults - 70€
- Concessions (for for disabled people, pupils, students, apprentice) - 43€
- Children (4 -14 years) - 43€
- Family (parents or grandparents – upto 2 adults and their children or grandchildren) - 180€
- Leipzig Pass holders - 40€
- For evening tickets, Leipzig pass holders, Leipzig card and other ticket details for summer and winter season, visit the official website.
How To Get To Leipzig Zoo by Public Transport
- Tram no. 12 for Gohlis- Nord and get off at stop “Zoo”.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Leipzig before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Leipzig and book an accommodation of your choice.
Address: Pfaffendorfer Str. 29, 04105 Leipzig, Germany
Ticket Price: 19 EUR
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 5.6K times in trip plans
Garden, Zoo, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Book Leipzig Zoo Tickets And Tours
Enjoy a guided walking tour that will take you back in time. Get to know how people lived in Hamburg in former times. See an example of their housing during the 17th century and see how times have changed ever since leading up to the 21st century and it's famous landmarks such as the Elbe Philharmonic Hall and HafenCity.
Share your experience - Rate Leipzig Zoo, Leipzig
Zoo Leipzig is the most amazing and beautiful zoo I've ever been to! Such a tremendous project! It has a huge territory and designed accordingly to every corner of the planet, where animals actually live, so it looks more like a natural space. And of course, amount of different animals and their species is impressive 😃👍 I've spent over 5 hours there. That's how much time you need to see everything.
A great day out with kids. Glass displays and "open air" spaces male the experience close to real encounter with animals. Plenty of spots for coffee and snacks available too.
One of the best zoos in the world. We have small children so we visit a lot of zoos. We visited the Leipzig Zoo about 10 years ago and thought then it was wonderful. We decided to visit again this trip and found it has only improved. Most of the enclosures are very open and the animals seem happy and active. If I were ever stuck in a zoo, this is the one I would choose.
One of the best zoos I've ever been to. Spacious habitats. Tried to go there in half a day; we had to skip half the zoo. Do yourself a favor & go in the morning.
My favorite zoo in the world. Getting ever better as new areas are added. Animals have far more room and seem better cared for than at other zoos. Recommended!
- Nearby Attractions
- Museum Der Bildenden Kunste
- Museum Im Stasi-bunker
- New Town Hall
- Battle Of The Nations Monument
- Stadtgeschichtliches Museum
- Leipzig Botanical Garden
- Holy Cross Church
- Hotels Near Leipzig Zoo
- Hotels Near Leipzig Zoo
- 5 Star Hotels Near Leipzig Zoo
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Leipzig Zoo
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Leipzig Zoo
- Budget Hotels Near Leipzig Zoo
- Cheap Hotels Near Leipzig Zoo
- Luxury Hotels Near Leipzig Zoo
- Leipzig Day-wise Trips
- 1 Day in Leipzig
- 2 Days in Leipzig
- 3 Days in Leipzig
- 4 Days in Leipzig
- 5 Days in Leipzig
- 6 Days in Leipzig
- 7 Days in Leipzig