Zoo Leipzig984 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: Pfaffendorfer Str. 29, 04105 Leipzig, Germany, 04105
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-3415933385
- Fax: +49-03415933303
- Ticket Price: 19 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Garden, Zoo, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Nature, Social, Zoos, Aquariums And Wildlife Sanctuaries, Landmarks
Founded in 1878, Leipzig zoo is said to be one of the oldest zoo in the world. It was founded by Ernst Pinkert, who was eager to transform his restaurant “the Pfaffendorfer Hof” into a zoological garden. Legend says, nearly 4500 visitors came to see the opening of the zoo. Today, the zoo covers nearly 225,000 square meter land housing nearly 850 animals that include mammals, bird, reptile, amphibian and fish species. The entire zoo is divided into 6 themes like Asia, Africa, South America, rainforest of Gondwanaland, apes of Pongoland and the historical Founder’s Garden.
The list doesn’t end here. The zoo also caters as a perfect destination for many personal events.
Come and take a tour into the wild world of Leipzig.
Zoo Leipzig Travel Tips
- Every First Monday from 21st March to 31st October, you will be admitted to the zoo at the discounted winter prices (except public holidays).
Entrance Ticket Details For Zoo Leipzig
Summer prices (21st March – 31st October)
- Adults -16 €
- Concessions (for for disabled people, pupils, students, apprentice) - 15€
- Children (4 -14 years) - 11€
- Family (parents or grandparents – upto 2 adults and their children or grandchildren) - 47€
- Groups of 10 children or more (1 free adult with every 10 paying children) - 9€
Winter prices (1st November – 3rd March)
- Adults - 16€
- Concessions (for for disabled people, pupils, students, apprentice) - 13€
- Children (4 -14 years) - 9€
- Family (parents or grandparents – upto 2 adults and their children or grandchildren) - 40€
- Groups of 10 children or more (1 free adult with every 10 paying children) - 7€
- Adults - 70€
- Concessions (for for disabled people, pupils, students, apprentice) - 43€
- Children (4 -14 years) - 43€
- Family (parents or grandparents – upto 2 adults and their children or grandchildren) - 180€
- Leipzig Pass holders - 40€
- For evening tickets, Leipzig pass holders, Leipzig card and other ticket details for summer and winter season, visit the official website.
How to Reach Zoo Leipzig
- Tram no. 12 for Gohlis- Nord and get off at stop “Zoo”.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Leipzig before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Leipzig and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Leipzig include Zoo Leipzig in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
77.86% of people start their Zoo Leipzig visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Zoo Leipzig
93.48% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Zoo Leipzig
Zoo Leipzig Reviews & Ratings
Zoo Leipzig is a fun place for the entire family. The entire zoo is very kid friendly - highly interactive, hands-on and accessible. There are kids' play areas and a petting zoo. The animals are housed in environments that try to replicate their natural habitat, for the most part. The zoo is a bit old and shabby looking, but easy to navigate and not overly large. Although most animals are housed humanely, there are a few exhibits where larger animals are kept alone and may be bored or stressed. Overall, though, this zoo is a very positive experience. Do not miss the African exhibits! Food and beverages are available for purchase on site, and there is a large souvenir shop before the exit door (best of luck leaving the shop without making a purchase, if you have young children!). Reduced admission tickets are available for purchase three hours before closing, but bear in mind that you will need at least three hours to see all of the exhibits, and, if you have small children, probably four or five hours. Please note that most signage and descriptions are primarily in German, and some staff may not converse in English. Highly recommended.
Amazing variety of animals and the price is good. I would definitely visit for a 3rd time when I go to Leipzig again. Take care when you use the outdoor parking and pay for extra 2 hours because you won't know how long you are gonna stay inside. I recommend you pay around 4 to 5 hours as a minimum because this is the average time used to go through everything. If you paid less trust me...you will start running in the middle of the zoo and you will feel like you are missing a lot. I went twice to the zoo so this is from my own personal experience. I paid for 4 hours and still I had to run the last 5 minutes. I wish you a beautiful visit.
This is an absolutely wonderful zoo! You can easily spend all day here and it's great for all ages! There is so much to do and it's truly a unique experience with the variety of animals and spaces they have set up.
Beautiful zoo. We only had a couple of hours to view it. The enclosed exhibit (forgot the name) that tasks about continental drift is part amusement park ride, party boat ride (small added cost) and part interactive zoo (the monkey island near the I've cream shop is great). With the zoo admission itself. Word of warning, if you plan to take advantage of the reduced evening rate be prepared to wait until exactly 3 hours before closing to be able to purchase tickets.
The best zoo I've been to. You can easily spend a whole day here experiencing and discovering. All the details leave you very impressed. The animals are also well taken care of.