St. Thomas ChurchCurrently Closed
- Address: Evang.- Luth. Parish St. Thomas Leipzig, Thomaskirchhof 18, 04109 Leipzig, Germany
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-341222240
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Tower
St. Thomas Church - Review
Considered as one of the two houses of worship in Leipzig, St. Thomas Church is a worth visit place from a religious point of view as well as from a traveler’s view point. Located at the center of the city, the church is said to be the final resting place of Johann Sebastian Bach, the Cantor of St. Thomas. His grave lies beneath the bronze plate in front of the altar. Today, visitors from all over the world come here not only to see the grave but also to hear the motet by the St. Thomas Boys Choir. That’s why; the church has become both a place of worship as well as a center of musical creativity.
Come here to attend the musical concerts and organ music that takes place in the church. Don’t forget to climb up the Steeple tower from where you get a jaw-dropping of the entire city of Leipzig. You can also see the 500 year old Gothic roof truss from the top of this tower.
St. Thomas Church Information
- Visitations and guided tours are allowed when worship services and motets are not proceeding.
- Guided tours during opening hours available with prior appointment.
- Maintain tranquility while visiting the church.
- Private group visit to the steeple is available with prior appointment.
- Hearing-impaired visitors should sit on the left-side of the center nave and adjust their hearing aids to "Telephone".
- The wheelchair entrance is through the door in the Burgstrasse.
St. Thomas Church Ticket Prices
- Guided group tours -1€ / person
- Tour to Steeple - 2€/ person, children (under 12years) – free
- Fees for restroom - 70€
St. Thomas Church Hours
Steeple tours – (from April to November)
- Saturday - 1pm, 2pm, 4:30pm (after the motet)
- Sunday – 2pm , 3pm
Restrooms at the church
Open daily – 10am -6pm (11am – 4pm from Monday to Thursday in January, February, March and November)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Leipzig before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Leipzig and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting St. Thomas Church
95% of people who visit Leipzig include St. Thomas Church in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
37.85% of people start their St. Thomas Church visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see St. Thomas Church
53.33% of people prefer walking in order to reach St. Thomas Church
St. Thomas Church Trips
St. Thomas Church, Leipzig Reviews
This church holds the grave of Johan Sebastian Bach. It is a church with quite a historical value. This is a must-visit spot in Leipzig. There's a quick eatery next to the church and the place is family-friendly. A great spot to enjoy one of the oldest choirs in Germany, if not the entire world.
This place is famous for the musician Bach especially. This church is a typical design for worship with pipe organs. A live and peaceful place.
Amazing church. The chior was rehearsing when we went into the church. This made a hudge impression. The grave is in such a good state.. like it was last week. Fresh flowers and this chior rehearsing. So beautiful rest place to lay among your own music still beeing sung and played today.
How can one describe the amazing feeling of hearing Eric Ericson Kammarkör singing Bach oratorios during the Bach- festival? Amazing!!
Well known because of the St Thomas boys choir and its former conductor Johann Sebastian Bach.