St. Thomas Church1063 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Evang.- Luth. Parish St. Thomas Leipzig, Thomaskirchhof 18, 04109 Leipzig, Germany
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-341222240
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Tower
Considered as one of the two houses of worship in Leipzig, St. Thomas Church is a worth visit place from a religious point of view as well as from a traveler’s view point. Located at the center of the city, the church is said to be the final resting place of Johann Sebastian Bach, the Cantor of St. Thomas. His grave lies beneath the bronze plate in front of the altar. Today, visitors from all over the world come here not only to see the grave but also to hear the motet by the St. Thomas Boys Choir. That’s why; the church has become both a place of worship as well as a center of musical creativity.
Come here to attend the musical concerts and organ music that takes place in the church. Don’t forget to climb up the Steeple tower from where you get a jaw-dropping of the entire city of Leipzig. You can also see the 500 year old Gothic roof truss from the top of this tower.
St. Thomas Church Travel Tips
- Visitations and guided tours are allowed when worship services and motets are not proceeding.
- Guided tours during opening hours available with prior appointment.
- Maintain tranquility while visiting the church.
- Private group visit to the steeple is available with prior appointment.
- Hearing-impaired visitors should sit on the left-side of the center nave and adjust their hearing aids to "Telephone".
- The wheelchair entrance is through the door in the Burgstrasse.
Entrance Ticket Details For St. Thomas Church
- Guided group tours -1€ / person
- Tour to Steeple - 2€/ person, children (under 12years) – free
- Fees for restroom - 70€
St. Thomas Church Hours
Steeple tours – (from April to November)
- Saturday - 1pm, 2pm, 4:30pm (after the motet)
- Sunday – 2pm , 3pm
Restrooms at the church
Open daily – 10am -6pm (11am – 4pm from Monday to Thursday in January, February, March and November)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Leipzig before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Leipzig and book an accommodation of your choice.
89.86% of people who visit Leipzig include St. Thomas Church in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
37.85% of people start their St. Thomas Church visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see St. Thomas Church
53.33% of people prefer walking in order to reach St. Thomas Church
St. Thomas Church Reviews & Ratings
Is there a Bach Festival in Leipzig for Holy Week?Answer Report Abuse
There is a Bach Fest in Leipzig but it is hosted from 14th June to 23rd June.Report Abuse