Are you looking for what to do in Limerick?
PLACES TO SEE
Limerick has some of the best tourist attractions in Ireland with its rich museums, story-bearing monuments and medieval streets which make it the perfect Irish getaway. Some of the most popular places to see in Limerick are:
- King John's Castle: Built in the 13th century, the King John’s Castle is located on an island off Limerick. The site dates back to 992 AD as a Viking site but the castle was built under King John’s orders years later. The castle is one of the best maintained forts in the whole of Ireland and is known for its stoic beauty and magnanimous architecture.
- The Hunt Museum: Originally located in the premises of University of Limerick, the Hunt Museum was moved to its present location -Customs House building in 1997. The Museum is a family endeavour of a couple who were art dealers by profession and collected artefacts more for their own curiosity than for commercial use. Today the museum consists of over 2000 artefacts including the oldest articles of ancient Egyptian and Stone-age origin.
- St Mary's Cathedral: St Mary’s Church is a cathedral dedicated to Blessed Virgin Mary. Also known as Limerick Cathedral, it is now one of three cathedrals in the United Dioceses of Limerick and Killaloe. The oldest building in Limerick which functions till date, the Cathedral is sure to charm you with its majestic architecture, intricate design and an overwhelming spiritual ambience.
- Thomond Park: Munster has an adopted religion- Rugby and Limerick’s Thomond Park is no less than a place of worship. The stadium houses regular rugby matches and is popular for its fanatics especially during matches. On a match day, the stadium livens up with songs, cheers and an energy that is hard to define.
- St. John's Cathedral: St. John's Cathedral in Limerick, Ireland was built in 1861- replacing an old chapel founded in 1753. The cathedral is designed by the architect Philip Charles Hardwick. Known for its old-world charm and simple elegant structures, the Cathedral adds another pinch of history to Limerick’s rich past.
THINGS TO DO
The nightlife in Limerick is vibrant although there are more pubs than clubs here. Limerick is always high on music and Guinness is a personal favourite of every tourist while listening to some good music.
- Icon Nightclub: The Nightclub is known for foot-tapping disco music and a smaller RnB music cabin. Grab a pint of beer to sway to some of the best international chart music. Buzzing on weekends, the Icon is a must if you want to explore the local youth-life in Limerick.
- The Sinbin: A club for the sport fanatic in you, the Sinbin Pub is heavily crowded during rugby matches. The food is delicious and generous in amount while the beer is sure to unwind your stressed day.
Below we have a list of things to do in Limerick and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Limerick getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Limerick with confidence.