Acropolis Of LindosCurrently Open
- Address: Relief of a Rhodian Galley, Lindos, Greece
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Archaeological Site
They say a son of Zeus set up the first village here. Historically though, we know it was the Dorians who did so around 1000BC. By the time 200 years had passed, it was a thriving trade centre for the Phoenicians and the Greeks. After the establishments of Rhodes in the 5th century BC, Lindos began to decline. The highlights of the place are:
- The Doric Temple of Athena Lindia (300 BC). EUR 6 entrance fee. Closes at 6:40 pm (March – December only)
- The Propylaea of the Sanctuary, (4th century BC)
- The relief of a Rhodian trireme (warship) form 180BC
- A Roman temple for Emperor Diocletian
- Castle of the Knights of St John,
- 13th century Greek Orthodox Church of St John
- Byzantine and Crusader fortifications
Also remarkable is the wonderful view of the village, the beaches and the sea from the top.
Trivia: Some scenes from the classic war movie The Guns of Navarone were filmed here.
- It’s high up on the hill, so walking up can be exhausting.
- Doric Temple of Athena Lindia : EUR 6 entrance fee.
- Doric Temple of Athena Lindia Closes at 6:40 pm (March – December only.
- A pair of donkeys can be hired from the village to take you to the acropolis for EUR 10 total (one way).
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Lindos before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lindos and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Lindos include Acropolis Of Lindos in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
40.78% of people start their Acropolis Of Lindos visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Acropolis Of Lindos
75% of people prefer walking in order to reach Acropolis Of Lindos