Jeronimos Monastery4122 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Praca do Imperio 1400-206 Lisboa, Portugal, Lisbon
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +351-213620004
- Ticket Price: 10 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Architecture , Monastery
Jeronimos Monastery (official name- Mosteiro De Santa Maria De Belem) is a lovely monastery in Lisbon. The beauty and architecture of the building have made it a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was from this place that Vasco De Gama began his voyage to colonize India. Completed in 1601, it took a century to build this stately, mind-numbingly beautiful church and monastery. Having a Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline architecture, the highlights of the monastery are:
- Ornate Manueline south portal by Joao de Castilho.
- The Axial portal is noted for its evident signs of transition from the Gothic style to Renaissance.
- The transept's unsupported vault gives rise to the illusion that it is floating.
- Six 25-metre-highoctagonal columns of intricate Renaissance decoration.
- Altars from the 16th and the 17th centuries.
- The classical Chancel by Jerónimo de Ruao, made for the royal family, with tombs of king Manuel I and his wife Maria of Aragon; and of King Joao III and his wife Queen Catherine of Austria.
- Tombs of Vasco da Gama and Luis de Camoes.
- The beautifully laid out two storey cloister of the monastery.
- Tomb of the poet Fernando Pessoa, poet and playwright Almeida Garrett, historian Alexandre Herculano, and erstwhile presidents Teofilo Braga and Oscar Carmona.
- This extremely stunning place should certainly be a treat for lovers of art and culture and is perhaps one of the most important places to visit in Lisbon.
Also located on the complex are the Museu Nacional de Arqueologia (National Archaeological Museum) and the Museu da Marinha (Maritime Museum). The Place is perhaps also one of the most important places to visit in Lisbon. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Lisbon Itinerary 7 Days.
Entrance Ticket Details For Jeronimos Monastery
- Combined tickets to Belem Tower and Jeronimos Monastery costs 10 EUR.
How to Reach Jeronimos Monastery
- Praca do Imperio
- Pasteis de Belem
- Restaurante Picanha de Belem
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Lisbon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lisbon and book an accommodation of your choice.
58.11% of people who visit Lisbon include Jeronimos Monastery in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
47.47% of people start their Jeronimos Monastery visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Jeronimos Monastery
93.7% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Jeronimos Monastery