Logrono is the largest city as well as the capital of La Rioja, Spain. This city occupies a part of northern Spain and can easily be covered on foot in less than an hour. Logrono is an independent city beautifully situated on the banks of river Ebro with a historic street to take a pleasant stroll by the water body. The city actually gained popularity and recognition because of the importance given to the Pilgrim's Route to Santiago de Compostela in the first half of the 11th century. The two bridges over the famous river Ebro connect the city of Logrono with Navarre and Álava. The palaces of the Marquis of Legarda, Los Chapiteles and the Museum of La Rioja are perfect examples of the marvelous civil architecture of the city. If you are travelling to Spain, Logrono is a must visit.
Logrono is rich with Churches, shopping malls, markets that sell fresh fruits and vegetables, Museums, old palaces, castles, affordable restaurants which encourages tourism on a broad scale. For entertainment, the city enjoys a couple of festivals and events like concerts, theatre, expositions, etc. Logrono serves delectable delicacies in the form of Tapas (small snacks) and Pincho (even smaller snacks) at affordable prices in restaurants as well as street stalls.
Cathedral of Santa María la Redonda which was built during the 15th and 18th century has baroque style towers that rise above the market square. The premises of the cathedral occupy a part of the old circular Romanesque church. Carvings of Gregorio Fernández and a representation of the way of the cross contribute to the magnificent sculptures of the church.
The city is renowned for its vineyards and its production of first-class wine that is a large contribution to the Rioja wine trade thereby holding a significant place on the wine map as well. Logrono celebrates 2 festivals during the year namely; Fiesta de San Mateo and Fiestas de San Bernabé which include a lot of wine, delicious delicacies, dance performances, music and a lot more. If you travel to La Rioja, a visit to Logrono, its capital is totally worth it. The best part of the city is that you can cover all the exquisite attractions on foot. All in all the city of Logrono makes for a wonderful Spanish holiday.
Essential travel information and Logrono tips for your visit
- Logrono is small enough to be covered on foot.
- The city is known for its first class red wine production which must be tried on a visit to Logrono.
- Logrono has bike points (lanes). If tourists get a tourist pass from the tourist office, they can rent a bike free of cost.
- This city of Logrono is rendered as one of the top most cities to live in, in Spain.
- If you’re visiting Logrono during winter, carry along an extra layer of clothing as the weather can get really cold at times.
- The food and drinks are inexpensive.
- The Greyhound bus provides comfortable seating with extra leg space and free WiFi. It is also an inexpensive mode of transport.
- If you hire a car.