Bedse Caves296 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Maval, Pune, Maharashtra, India, Lonavala Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Cave, Village, View Point, Observatory, Historical Site, Monument, Family And Kids, Nature
Ancient Buddhist monument situated in Maval Taluka, the Bedse caves date back to 2300 years. Believed to be built by Emperor Ashoka- the great emperor of Maurya dynasty that ruled the entire Indian sub-continent from 269 to 232 BC, the Bedse caves basically operated as a meditation place for Buddhist monks.
Located at a distance of 15 kilometres from the Kamshet railway station, reaching the caves requires a little hike. The trail is scenic and offers excellent sights of the peaceful village and verdant nature.
There are two eastward facing caves known as viharas and the main cave has a stupa- domed shaped structure inside it. The spring water tanks, wall paintings, Yamai temple andVaghoba temple are top highlights of the cave.
Visit the caves and you will b lost in a time long ago gone by!
Bedse Caves Travel Tips
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Carry water.
Bedse Caves Hours
- Open 24 hours.
- Best visited during day time.
How to Reach Bedse Caves
- Rented Car, Taxi, Train and then hike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Lonavala before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lonavala and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Bedse Caves Address: Maval, Pune, Maharashtra, India, Lonavala
- Bedse Caves Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Bedse Caves(preferred time): 08:00 am - 01:00 pm
- Time required to visit Bedse Caves: 01:30 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
9.84% of people who visit Lonavala include Bedse Caves in their plan
50% of people start their Bedse Caves visit around 10 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Bedse Caves
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Bedse Caves
People normally also visit Tungarli Lake while planning their trip to Bedse Caves.
Bedse Caves Reviews & Ratings
Here is a link to the video of Bedse caves I created during my visit. This will give you a good perspective of what to expect. https://youtu.be/kp1CQX13cpU I live close to this beautiful place and have visited a number of times. Best time to visit is during sunrise as these are east facing caves.