Tikona FortCurrently Open
- Address: Gavhandhe village, Tikona peth, Near Pavana River, Lonavla, Pune India 410401, Lonavala
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, View Point, Historical Site, Hill, Fort
Also known as Vitandgad, this fort is set up on the pyramidal shaped Tikona hill at an elevation of 3500 feet above the sea level. The word ‘Tikona’ literally means Triangle in local language. Popular as a trekking destination, its twin fort Tung is also quite popular and can be visited along with Tikona fort. Having significance in the Maratha history, this fort dates back to circa 7th-8th century AD. Conquered by Nizam in 1585, the fort was won by Maratha Kind Shivaji Maharaj along with Karnala, Lohgad, Mahuli, Songad, Tala, and Visapur. A strategically important, the fort saw many battles and was won back several times by the Marathas making it notable in the history. Heading towards Kamshet from Lonavla; Tikona fort can be accessed from the Gavhande village acts as a base camp for the trek and Pawana Lake lies at the summit of the trekking path. Although the trek is not difficult, there are some parts to climb where it is practically vertical and gets slippery during monsoon.
- Large ancient Entrance Doors
- Trimbakeshwar Temple.
- Satvahana Caves
- Lake Surrounding The Fort
- View of Lohgad and Tung
Tikona Fort Travel Tips
- There are no provisions for overnight camping.
- Hike can be tiresome and not suitable for infants, pregnant women, senior citizens and people with medical problems.
- Wear rainy jacket and comfortable shoes.
- Guided tours are periodically arranged but enquire well-in advance.
Entrance Ticket Details For Tikona Fort
- Entry is free.
Tikona Fort Hours
- Open 24 hours.
- Best visited during day time.
How to Reach Tikona Fort
- Car and then trekking.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Lonavala before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Lonavala and book an accommodation of your choice.
13.21% of people who visit Lonavala include Tikona Fort in their plan
40% of people start their Tikona Fort visit around 6 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Tikona Fort
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tikona Fort
Tikona Fort Reviews & Ratings
Is tikona fort open currently on weekdays?Answer Report Abuse