Barentsburg Pomor Museum, LongyearbyenCurrently Open
- Address: Barentsburg , Svalbard, Longyearbyen, Svalbard And Jan Mayen
- Phone: +47-79021814
- Ticket Price: 50 NOK
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museum, Family And Kids
About Barentsburg Pomor Museum, Longyearbyen
This small museum, though not the most rich, is nevertheless vital for the records it maintains of the Pomors, the people of the White Sea, who some (including this museum) claim were the true first discoverers of Svalbard. In recent years, the museum has been a point of minor conflict between Russia and Norway; the museum was built by Russia, and is still owned by it, on territory that Norway considers sovereign. The highlights of the museum are:
- William Barentz’s archaeological finds
- Collections of minerals and fossils.
- Taxidermy of polar wildlife.
- Some local coal mining history.
- WWII and Soviet rule.
Barentsburg Pomor Museum Information
- Since the only way to currently get to Barentsburg is by tour bout, your museum visiting hours is consequently dependent on that. In otherwords, the Museum is open when tour boats or other operators are available.
Barentsburg Pomor Museum Opening and Closing Hours
- It only opens when tour boats are in port.
- For timing details please enquire before you visit.
How To reach Barentsburg Pomor Museum by Public Transport
- Get there through a tour operator.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Longyearbyen before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Longyearbyen and book an accommodation of your choice.