How to Reach Longyearbyen
The Easiest Way to Reach Longyearbyen
- By Air: Svalbard Airport Longyear serves the town as it is the only airport in Svalbard. There are flights to the town from Oslo almost all year round. From there, there are buses and taxis available.
- By Boat: The town’s port is only open during the summers. Boats arrive from Tromso once a week and every day except Monday from Barentsburg.
- On Foot: It is possible to see the town on foot, but this becomes difficult when the weather is bad.
- By Bicycle: You can also rent a bike from Basecamp Spitsbergen or Svalbard Bike Rental.
- By Car: Since there is no public transport in the town, the best way to travel around is by renting a car.
- By Taxi: You can also see the town by travelling in taxis, however that might end up pinching your pocket. To go out of town though, requires getting in touch with a tour operator.