Pyramiden, LongyearbyenCurrently Open
- Address: Pyramiden, Svalbard, Longyearbyen, Svalbard And Jan Mayen
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids
About Pyramiden, Longyearbyen
In 1998, the last bit of coal was extracted from this eighty year old coal mine town, and the last resident left. For nearly a decade, Pyramiden was a ghost town that no one visited. It is 50km north of Longyearben, and nearly inaccessible.
Since 2007, there have been some attempts to turn the town into a tourist attraction. There’s a hilarious angle to this – since the town is exceedingly far north, a lot of the objects here are the ‘northernmost’ of their type. For example: the northernmost grand piano is here, as it the northernmost monument to Vladimir Lenin and the northernmost swimming pool. The rate of decay here is very slow thanks to the frigidity – that’s why most of the buildings are in exceedingly good condition.
The Tulip Hotel here, where you can also stay overnight, houses a small museum. About 30 people currently live in town; their main job is to take around tourists from Longyearben around town, so you’re in good hands.
- You can only get here by boat or snowmobile. Usually this is as part of a guided tour, but you can also come independently (this is not advised).
- Though there are no restrictions on visiting the town itself, it is not allowed to enter the buildings without permission – they are still owned by a Russian corporation.
- Vandalism by tourists is a serious proble don’t add to it.
- You can stay overnight at the Tulip Hotel here.
How To reach Pyramiden by Public Transport
- Boat or snowmobile
Restaurants Near Pyramiden
- Ask the locals; get your own food, drinks and snacks.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Longyearbyen before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Longyearbyen and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Pyramiden
95% of people who visit Longyearbyen include Pyramiden in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
59.21% of people plan their visit to Pyramiden between 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Pyramiden
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Pyramiden